Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: My Wood fired Redux

Awesome work. Good job.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks V-WIZ...I see you're enjoying your oven by the looks of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 10-09-2013, 09:51 PM
Master Builder

Yes Sir i am, just wish i could use it more often.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Glad to hear that...me too these last couple weeks.

We are headed north on Saturday, and I have plans to hit a bunch of WfO places in CT & NYC, and of course, a couple coal fired ones too. So no oven construction or pizza making for a while.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 10-11-2013, 04:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I was digging around my picture files yesterday, looking for something to show a client, and stumbled upon some pictures I thought a few might be interested in.

The pictures show were the granite components like the chimney supports, keystones, hearth and arch assembly came from. It was a project in New England, and the client had no use for the cut offs...I was glad to have them when the build started.

Before
My Wood fired Redux-granitesteps2.jpg

This is how I cut the ends to get the length I need. The hearth, arch assembly and the keystones came off end cuts like this.
My Wood fired Redux-granitesteps4.jpg

The smaller piece was what I cut into blocks, and then shaped the chimney supports. I was originally going to use it for a hitching post, but I didn't have any other granite that worked for the supports, so plan B it was
My Wood fired Redux-granitesteps8.jpg

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 10-11-2013 at 04:26 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Just curious.

When you drill the holes and put in the wedges how often does it not crack where you want it too?

Old 10-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Maybe this sounds like baloney....but never these days.

At least, not since my first couple months of splitting, 16 years ago. I always trace the line with a carbide chisel first, and that encourages the stone to spit along the line I choose, instead of what the grain of the stone would do on it's own.

Notice the chisel line in between the drill holes, and down the face.

My Wood fired Redux-granitesteps3.jpg

This is the stone in pic #2 in the above post. Notice that the break crept off the line a bit on the face. It didn't matter, because it followed my trace on the other side, and that material was removed during trimming.

Once you master this technique, you can fit large stone pretty tight with some chisel work.
My Wood fired Redux-granitesteps11.jpg
The only power tools used on this project were a combo hammer for the holes and a pneumatic carving tool with a bush hammer bit.
My Wood fired Redux-granitesteps5.jpg

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 10-11-2013, 02:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sharp eyes will see the first and third stone in the first picture of the full size granite ( post #295) are missing one corner each.

Those are the ends that were cut off, then carved into the arch and the hearth.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 10-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for the reply.

Some years ago I had an urge to learn dry stone walling, there are only two courses that are conducted in Australia that I could find.

One never replied to my enquiry so I booked a one day course in Hobart Tasmania, a 1/2 hour flight away over Bass Straight.
I missed the out bound flight by 1 minute (Jet Star) so had to pay an extra $90 for the next flight which was 1/2 hour later.

On arrival in Hobart I got a shuttle bus to the venue only to find that the course was all done on a whiteboard with not a stone or rock in sight.
I could have done the course out of a book.....

Feeling let down I walked into Hobart and had some fish and chips for lunch, my homeward flight was 4 hours away so I just sat and drank coffee.
Hobart is a really lovely place to sit and drink coffee so it wasnt all bad.

Arriving back in Melbourne I went to pay for car parking at the airport, $70 for the day.....

All up the day cost me around $500.....

Old 10-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

How long ago was that? The dry walling community has grow tremendously the last 10-15 years, there is probably a proper work shop somewhere close by ( relatively) if you wanted to try again....if.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin