Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 07:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My Wood fired Redux

This is almost what I have in mind with the stone I have...

My Wood fired Redux-cfp-2002.jpg

My Wood fired Redux-cfp2002-close.jpg

We did that FP in '02 with handpicked fieldstone off walls on the property. HO wanted something similar to what he saw in an old local tavern. My oven stonework will have the randomness of that FP, but I'll orient some of the stone at steep angles....which is more free-form.

I think it will off set the coursing on the base well enough, without looking out of place.

Oh, and not one stone was cut with a saw or grinder. I used a mason hammer to powder off a bump here and there, but that was it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 09-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Beautiful work indeed, you truly have an eyes for picking out pattern matches from freeform madness.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

He doesn't have to convince very many stones on where they outta be, for sure.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Chip. T, I may have to be more persuasive with this stone....its been picked over a couple times.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 09-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhs View Post
That's a beautiful oven and wonderful craftsmanship. I hope this question isn't offensive, but I am curious - when you do stone work for others, do you just charge for the "labor" or also for the "art"? I mean, if you were selling a painting or a sculpture, the cost of the materials and how much time you put into it is somewhat irrelevant, you'd charge for the value of the finished artistic result. It seems to me that your stone work is definitely in the "art" category!
As a customer of stonecutter, I can tell you that his work is a labor of love mixed with personal works of art. He is among the best stone masons that I've seen, and, at the time, he warned me that I would become a stone critic after he finished our pool and patio. I believe that even the esteemed stone masons Charles McRaven and Toru Oba hailing from our area in Virginia would comment highly on his work. Stonecutter, when I saw that gothic arch being developed with the granite key, I was amazed and knew that beautiful things were coming, and they did. The dry stacked stone work is the epitomy of an oven base. The cast concrete became an orchestral crescendo, but when I looked at the pictures of the formation of that granite slab to completion of the carved granite arch, I felt like I was with friends back in the 80’s savoring bottles of 1959 Vintage Chateau LaTour at Harvey’s Restaurant in Bristol UK with a beautiful steak dinner. Congratulations on a wonderful creation!
Gulf likes this.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thank you for the kudos mirassou. I'm glad to see you are moving forward on building an oven...I'm sure you will get plenty of help from the forum if you get stuck. And I know you will thoroughly enjoy it when it is functioning.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 09-10-2013, 11:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

A master craftsmen you are stonecutter. The beauty is these works of art will put last all of us. I hope you sign them like an artist signs his paintings.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:42 AM
Apprentice

Just finished your whole post. Absolutely blown away! Not only a great build w/quality details but your pies are in unison with the oven. I'm going to have to steal your jalapeno popper pizza idea! Looked delicious! I've been experimenting with Peppadew Peppers lately. Sweet w/a little heat. They pair well w/Monterey Jack Cheese. I agree w/Tscar about pizzamaking.com & dough issues although I'm sure there are plenty of folks here that can hold their own against those on that board. They are as passionate about dough & pizza as those on here although the focus here is on the build. I appreciate everyone on both sites!
Old 09-11-2013, 05:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thank you again everyone.

KKG, I can't take credit for that pizza, my wife came up with that idea. One thing we are doing differently is adding crumbled bacon. We didn't have any on hand when we made the one in the pic, and it really adds to the pizza in flavor and texture.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 09-11-2013, 05:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
I hope you sign them like an artist signs his paintings.
I do put my Masons Mark in a discreet area on a stone sometimes.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin