Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 03:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My Wood fired Redux

We got a hold of some Caputo 00, KA whole wheat and gluten free for an oven burn tomorrow. Looking forward to trying the 00 especially.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 08-31-2013, 12:05 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
We got a hold of some Caputo 00, KA whole wheat and gluten free for an oven burn tomorrow. Looking forward to trying the 00 especially.
let us know how it turns out and what dough measurements you used... I tried out two different doughs yesterday and they were pretty similar. I was cooking in my grill at about 650 degrees. I looked on the dough thread but I didn't find that helpful.

My Build -

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here
Old 08-31-2013, 12:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

For dough and things of that nature, pizzamaking.com is much more useful than this site.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Did a test WW pizza, sorry no pics. Different, kind of dry...not in a bad way. Maybe a little more water next time. I read somewhere that WW doesn't like high heat....I can see that, the bottom cooked pretty fast. I had to finish it off by doming it, otherwise it would have been burnt.

Tomorrow should be interesting, the WW pies will be unconventional as far as toppings anyway, so different is O.K. I won't be using the Caputo, we're having less people so I made the regular KAAP.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 09-06-2013, 03:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Got myself set up for the stone work on the surround. Unfortunately, I am tied up until next week...oh well. Thought some of you might want to see the stone I am working with, before it goes up.

Most of it is leftovers off a couple projects, and I am going to do a free-form style...which suits how rough these stones are.

My Wood fired Redux-img_1645.jpg

My Wood fired Redux-img_1646.jpg

My Wood fired Redux-img_1647.jpg

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 09-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cool find at a local hardware store. They got bought out and this broom handle was like 4 bucks, and it has a little figuring in the wood too. The SS was given to me by a friend, who cut it at 8" for a turning peel.

This isn't exactly what I wanted to do with this piece of stainless, but it will do, and I don't have time to make anything nice right now. I hammered the metal broom attachment flat and riveted the peel with 3/16" SS rivets. The peel metal is thick.... it's like 10 gauge, so no floppiness at all. I left a slight angle to keep the rivets off the brick and to be more ergonomic while turning pies....it works great so far.

My Wood fired Redux-img_1648.jpg

My Wood fired Redux-img_1649.jpg

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 09-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sweet turning peel. Are you going to slice those rocks or is it full thickness?
Old 09-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks, I could do worse for $4 that's for sure.

The veneer will be between 4"-6", but I'll just use my pitch to hog pieces off the bigger stones to thin them out. When I work with fieldstone, the grinder and saw are never used...just hammers and carbides if necessary.

I only want weathered faces, but my stone pile is pretty meager, so I may have some that have chisel marks here and there. There is some 3 sided snap fieldstone that I have laying around that may have to be used to stretch out what I have. That stone will require some chiseling to soften it up.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 09-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Every stone has it's place, some just need to be beat into accepting that fact.

Last edited by Tscarborough; 09-06-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Every stone has it's place, some just need to be beat into accepting that fact.
Only if you want to do tight work with a short stone pile.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin