Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 03:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My Wood fired Redux

You drill all those holes? That is a different piece of steel than your "grilling thingy". But in any case nothing like a good repurpose!!!

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 07-31-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
You drill all those hole? That is a different piece of steel than your "grilling thingy". But in any case nothing like a good repurpose!!!
Haha...yup, all by hand, but I used the veg thingy as a hole template. We don't have a drill press anymore but my Father and I have been talking about getting another. The metal handle is just for now, I plan on milling some oak down for a new one.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 08-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Laborer

Your tenacity overwhelms me.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTanner View Post
Your tenacity overwhelms me.
It's what drives me on all my projects....and why I almost never do the same thing twice.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 08-05-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I used the new peel last week, and it works well enough. I am going to bevel the holes on the top part of the peel because I think the sharp edges create a bit of drag when picking up the pie.

Later this afternoon, I am going to prep for stucco on the chimney..hopefully.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 08-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Serf

That's a beautiful oven and wonderful craftsmanship. I hope this question isn't offensive, but I am curious - when you do stone work for others, do you just charge for the "labor" or also for the "art"? I mean, if you were selling a painting or a sculpture, the cost of the materials and how much time you put into it is somewhat irrelevant, you'd charge for the value of the finished artistic result. It seems to me that your stone work is definitely in the "art" category!
Old 08-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhs View Post
That's a beautiful oven and wonderful craftsmanship. I hope this question isn't offensive, but I am curious - when you do stone work for others, do you just charge for the "labor" or also for the "art"? I mean, if you were selling a painting or a sculpture, the cost of the materials and how much time you put into it is somewhat irrelevant, you'd charge for the value of the finished artistic result. It seems to me that your stone work is definitely in the "art" category!
Not an offensive question, but an honest one.

The short of it is this...If somebody values a highly customized project, with lots of one of a kind features, then the cost will be higher.

The things I am doing with this oven are being done because I have never had the opportunity to do them for anyone before. All my work is custom, but finding clients that value the work and are willing to pay for it....unfortunately, they are becoming more and more scarce every year. But that is a deep subject for me...I'm not going to junk up the thread with my feelings on that.

When I am asked, "How much is ...." I say, "It depends on what you want". So, the honest answer would be.......the cost depends on the job and what the client wants.

Whether it's art or not is completely subjective to individual taste. And, if the client values what I bring to the table, then the cost is justified,because they value my knowledge, experience, ideas and abilities.

I wish to thank you and all others that have expressed appreciation for and complimented my work on this thread.
david s likes this.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 08-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Laborer

I so agree with you. There are a huge number of manufactured stone products on the market today that you can throw up on a wall like tile for 7 bucks a foot.It looks good from 10 foot away because stone always looks better than most surfaces. But when you look closer you start to see repeating patterns and jaked up inside and outside corners.

As you know,a guy can make a killing hiring a crew of cheap help and slapping up 2000 feet of that a day.To due high end usually means, you and maybe one helper and two guys can only due so much in a day.The big bucks are in the cheap stuff.

It's obvious to me by looking at the quality of work, your not doing this just for the money but for the love of the work and the satisfaction you get from it.

From one contractor to another, you got my respect..... and you know how we like to find fault with each others work......I aint havin no luck with that.

Bill
david s likes this.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The perforated peel worked pretty good, and it definitely launched pizza better than my wooden peel, but I think the crisp edges of the holes may be a bit grabby sometimes. So I beveled them in an effort to lessen any drag. I made some dough to test it out tomorrow..we'll see if my hunch is right.

My Wood fired Redux-img_1631-new.jpg

My Wood fired Redux-img_1632-new.jpg

The rivets are 3/16" SS

My Wood fired Redux-img_1633-new.jpg

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 08-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Today I managed to sneak some work in before the rain started. I finished the brick on the back corners, so stone work is next. I taped off the corner joints and installed hardware cloth to the durock on the chimney for the scratch coat tomorrow.

The chimney will be capped with a flat stone, with corner supports carved from granite...I have yet to make those. The crown will have a stone drip edge, and a tapered parge to the flue.

Until all that is done, I made a temporary chimney pot from a scrap piece of flue and the cap is an old 12"x12" pressed concrete sample. I'm glad it was still around....it works pretty good at keeping rain out of the flue.
My Wood fired Redux-img_1634-new.jpg

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin