Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My Wood fired Redux

It's been very hot and humid here too...it is hard to willfully go out in it when I don't really need to....I'd rather be in the pool with a beer.

I think the stonework on the oven is going to be a challenge for me to execute style wise. I tend to favor tight fitting joints, and what I see in my mind is a more loose rustic style...which is something you would see on an old community ovens in Europe. Not sloppy work mind you, just not as tight as the base....we'll see what happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 07-26-2013, 09:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Put the saw away. Every stone has a home, you just have to find it.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Put the saw away. Every stone has a home, you just have to find it.
Say what? Not really following you...a rustic look would not need any use of cut stone. The only stone on this whole structure that was saw cut is the granite, and if that was strictly chisel work it would have taken a couple weeks to make it.

Truthfully, I rarely use a saw when laying stone that isn't a specific carved piece...carbide chisels and hammers are another thing.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 07-27-2013 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

It's been so gross outside, I can't motivate myself to do the stonework...we're talking real feels in the 100+ range and very,very humid....urg. Now it looks like t-storms this afternoon through friday, and we are going to Savanna for the weekend...no stonework until next week now.

I have been thinking about a second door for the oven, one with a glass panel....similar idea to the one Chip built... very cool idea btw. I am going to check out a couple junk shops that have old stoves, and see if I can score a panel. Then I need to find a temp gauge with a long thermocouple, which I will mount on the side of the glass. I am going to try an install a light too.

I also have an idea for a sort of a steam delivery system for when I bake bread. It all sounds doable...I just need to scrounge up the parts!

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 07-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Apprentice

The Steam idea would be pretty sweet when cooking bread. I'm interested to see how that idea progresses.

My Build -

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here
Old 07-30-2013, 05:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for the plug on the door, I found an oval pan lid that might work even better, I found that the thermometer in the baking door is of little or no use as it does not provide as good feedback as the ir gun.

I bought a used pressure cooker today and will be trying something similar to Faith's setup, but I cannot bring myself to drill a hole in my oven.

Last edited by mrchipster; 07-30-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
Thanks for the plug on the door, I found an oval pan lid that might work even better, I found that the thermometer in the baking door is of little or no use as it does not provide as good feedback as the ir gun.

I bought a used pressure cooker today and will be trying something similar to Faith's setup, but I cannot bring myself to drill a hole in my oven.
It was a great idea and starting point.

I hear you about the thermocouple but I think opening the door to check the heat with the IR will let heat out...maybe not enough to matter, bt just a thought. Maybe incorporate a small latch, just enough of an opening to shoot the oven without opening up the door? Now that's really nutty....and I would have to break down and get a gun. I guess Harbor Freight might be good for something.

For the steam, I am thinking very simple. Just a copper tube to deliver H2O to a small cast iron pan inside the oven...which will be put in right after the hot coals and ash are removed. I don't even know if this will work, but the door is experimental. As of now, I'm not a good enough baker to care if it works or not ....any loaf that isn't on fire will be great for me.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 07-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

My willing victim! The old grill was cannibalized for SS material for oven tools and a couple doors. I saved the hood, which had an interior shield, the handles, the side burner cover and tray, a couple grates.

My Wood fired Redux-img_1626-grill.jpg

I also found an old veg grilling thingy hiding in the cabinet, and I'm going to turn it into a launching peel...no drilling required!
My Wood fired Redux-img_1627.jpg

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 07-31-2013, 05:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Good "scrounging"!!!

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-31-2013, 03:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

viva il scroccone......Long live the scrounge!

My attempt at one of those fancy peels. This used to be the side burner cover, and the handle was the old grill cover handle. I still need to rivet it to the head...I have a ton of SS rivets for that. The holes are 1/4" and 3/16".

My Wood fired Redux-img_1629.jpg

David, if you see this...... I off-set the front of the peel kind of like yours and the bucket trowel I mentioned. It's subtle, but you can see how the left front edge is more forward than the right. I don't know if it will make a difference or not, but it wasn't any extra trouble so why not.

My Wood fired Redux-img_1630-close-up.jpg

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin