Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 12:22 AM
Peasant

Default Re: my summer project begins.

Just supporting a timber that helps seal the concrete form. Due to the nature of the site, I also incorporated some bricks and aggregate to stabilize things. The brick is far from structural. Once the slab has set I intend to screed the side and pretty things up. Hope this makes sense
Old 11-04-2012, 12:40 AM
Master Builder

Ok, now I get it.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Peasant

Well I finally got some time to place some blocks - well its a start!!
Attached Thumbnails
my summer project begins.-block-work-starts.jpg  
Old 11-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Your yards got a bit of a fall hasn't it ......glad its you mowing it

Regards Dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Peasant

Thankfully, the are to the right is going to be a flight of stairs, hopefully this summer. Then I have a second lawn, which has a similar rake to the lawn where the oven is situated. BTW - I did not realise how much of a slope the lawn had until I laid the foundation slab and could see what level looks like by comparison. I was quite shocked!! And I originally thought it was the beer!! lol

Last edited by waikato pizza; 11-20-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Peasant

Well, I have had a couple of sessions available - the block work is completed - gonna be tight, but I think Christmas (maybe New Year) Pizza is possible.

Read a thread about changing the "perimeter" hearth design. Seems to make sense and so I made an "I" shaped block work base. I reckon apart from having to make a few extra timber cuts, this design should support through the center of the oven. I reckon this will prevent sagging and prolong the life of the oven. Still only time can tell on this!

Anything I need to be aware of before pouring the slab - I plan on sinking precast aerated reinforced panel into the center, below where the oven will be.

Thoughts from anyone, gratefully received as throughout the project so far I have found masses of information. Thanks to all that contribute.

Attached Thumbnails
my summer project begins.-block-work-done.jpg  
Old 12-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday

The Aerated renforced panel you talk about is that "hebel". Yes I have hebel as the insulation under my oven. I have not had any problems with it but I think because I have 75mm 3 in of hearth bricks the heat has time to temper before it gets to the hebel. Cement will only take temp up to 600c before its start breaking down. So for this reason I always recommend anyone using hebel use a layer of FB board or "perlcrete" to protect it from the higher temps.

Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 12-09-2012, 01:58 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Cement will only take temp up to 600c before its start breaking down.
Actually Cement starts to break at about 300 c.

"Concrete exposed to up to 100 C is normally considered as healthy. The parts of a concrete structure that is exposed to temperatures above approximately 300 C (dependent of water/cement ratio) will most likely get a pink color. Over approximately 600 C the concrete will turn light grey, and over approximately 1000 C it turns yellow-brown.[4] One rule of thumb is to consider all pink colored concrete as damaged that should be removed."

Concrete degradation
Old 12-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Peasant

Lots of people mention FB board across this site, but what is it? Hardie board is a concrete product so I know it cant be that, any help on a product name? This question is pretty much for australasia as lots of things have different names over here - Brickie in Oz? any answers
Old 12-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by waikato pizza View Post
Lots of people mention FB board across this site, but what is it? Hardie board is a concrete product so I know it cant be that, any help on a product name? This question is pretty much for australasia as lots of things have different names over here - Brickie in Oz? any answers
Its really called calcium silicate board.