Old 09-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: my oven build - NJ

Looks like you've been busy,, keep up the good work
Old 09-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Laborer

seems like its taking me forever but with work, kids and other projects I guess its coming along - slowly but surely
Old 09-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
Unfortunately I need to complete the paver patio before starting on the hearth slab
I suggest not doing that. You will spend way too much time covering/cleaning your paver's when you pour the hearth. I had my hearth poured and my island brick work done before I installed the paver's - it was still a pain when I built the oven. Any drop of a portland product will stain them (unless you select gray).

Just my thoughts.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Master Builder

I second Les' suggestion. Keeping my pavers clean during construction has been a real pain!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Tifosi,

Slowly but surely is so much better than not at all,, Are your kids old enough to help yet ? My daughter is 17 and actually enjoyed helping me do the stucco on the domes and walls...

Mark
Old 09-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Laborer

thanks for the advice, I have debated this in my own mind, the thought of doing the pavers under the hearth after its in concerns me. I do need to at least run the compactor in there before the hearth is in. I need to give it some more thought
Old 09-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

do you really need to put pavers all the way under the hearth ?
Old 09-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
thanks for the advice, I have debated this in my own mind, the thought of doing the pavers under the hearth after its in concerns me. I do need to at least run the compactor in there before the hearth is in. I need to give it some more thought
You do not want to build this on top of pavers?? I have two 144 sq. ft. gazebo's that I put pavers in. Both of them had a concrete pad underneath. I could only screed about 3/8 inch of sand but it came out OK. I didn't use the the vibrator plate but used the hand held tamper. If you are setting the pavers under the hearth - I wouldn't think you need to do anything other then set them in the sand.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:25 AM
Laborer

i did a normal foundation so there is no slab on the ground. I just backfilled the dirt so I have to compact or over time it will settle a low spot and I will end up with water accumulating in there. I want to put pavers for a full finished look but certainly hear your advice about keeping them clean.

On another note, my oven floor will be about 43 inches off the ground as currently specd, I think this is consistent with most others but I am wondering if I should go a few inches higher to reduce bending down to look in. I am about 6 feet so not real tall but think it might be better to be on the high side then vice versa
Old 09-10-2009, 03:58 AM
Master Builder

I vote for higher, the higher the better. I don't want to bend over either.