Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: My Old Kentucky Dome Enclosure

You are right on George! That's why I asked....I have not been able to buy anything for my oven so far at Lowe's and HD....they don't even know what a fire brick is or refractory mortar....ciao Carlo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Journeyman

Like Ken I'm pretty fortunate:

Within a 30 minute drive of my house I've found:
firebrick/heat-stop 50
HD/Lowes that carry the foundation materials/metal studs I'll need.
I might even be able to find a double wall chimney from Lowes.

The only specialty items I've ordered:
FB Blanket
FB board (still going to use 3 1/2 per perlite/portland) as well
KS-4 Plus - Still researching but I think I'll use this for my vent.

Dick
Old 04-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Have a store do a transfer. Contact the corp if the manager will not help. They do store transfers all the time. You only need to know the closest one that carries it. Costs are involved.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 04-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Robert,
Thats what I had to go through to get my finish coat of stucco. Eight weeks before I got delivery to the store!

Someone, somewhere at the stores decided what we would use a lot of, and what we wouldn't. They don't stock it if it isn't used regularly, and charge extra for the product if you really want it. Hmmm, yes - good business for them, but somewhat unfair for products that are used everyday throughout the US and elsewhere, but are not the norm for your region. (Waaaaa )

-
Old 04-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That gets on my goat, too. Here the shops decide what you can and can't build for the whole country - if they don't sell it, you can't build it. No way they'd order anything from another country for you...

Lucky we live close to the boarder, so I can check out what German and French DIYers are "allowed" to build, too.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It's nice to be able to make more progress posts to my enclosure thread!

I finished up the framing last night. I'm amazed at how sturdy the structure became as I screwed in the last few parts. It's finally starting to look like something.

Updated!

Old 04-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

This morning I got busy with the backer board. I finished up the sides and back. I decided to leave the front open until I finish re-curing and have a few hot fires. I want to have access just in case.

As you can see, my Quality Control staff was on hand to double check my work.

Durock vs. Hardibacker:
I used several sheets of Hardibacker and 1 sheet of Durock. I figured it would be fun to compare them since the cost difference was negligible. I'll write up my comments in this thread:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/c...-one-3838.html (Cement Board, Hardiebacker, Durock... Which one?)

Updated!

Old 04-24-2008, 05:03 AM
Laborer

It's really looking good Ken. Very nice work.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Roof is in place. I also finished installing the backerboard on the front. When my arms, shoulders and legs recuperate I'll add roofing material under the eaves and the the front exposed studs.

The second picture sort of gives you an idea of where the oven is in relation to the patio. The patio will eventually be covered by an arbor and I'll build a food prep table.

Updated!

Old 04-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hurray! We had our first successful weekend of baking. My parents visited for my daughter's 11th birthday. She wanted pizza. So I hustled to get the backerboard, roof and chimney in place so the oven would look presentable.

I had a couple small curing fires in the last week but had yet to try "Pizza Heat" since the vermiculite concrete was added earlier in the month.

Let me tell you... This oven performed amazingly!

Friday afternoon we set up a build-your-own-pizza bar on the patio and cooked 10 pizzas (accompanied by a nice Southern Indiana red wine). We had a blast.

Saturday after lunch, the oven was still at 370F so we made a batch of Xabia Jim's Biscotti (pictures below). The biscotti's were great and we devoured them all. They were a tad chewy. I don't think I cooked them long enough the 2nd time.

After we were done baking the biscotti we decided to run to the store and grab a 7lb pork shoulder (Boston Butt). We rubbed it with Famous Dave's rib rub and put it in the oven at 8pm last night. At 9am this morning the shoulder came out and pretty much shredded itself. The oven was still at 220F. Our Sunday BBQ lunch was outstanding.

This was our first real trial of the fully insulated, completed dome. I can't tell you all how tickled I am with this thing. Everyone was thoroughly impressed. Thanks again for all the encouragement!
Attached Thumbnails
My Old Kentucky Dome Enclosure-img_2803.jpg   My Old Kentucky Dome Enclosure-img_2809.jpg  

Updated!