Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My Old Kentucky Dome Enclosure

Ken, don't forget the superglue for the cuts. Truly helps and will be needed.

Acoma's Tuscan:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoma View Post
Ken, don't forget the superglue for the cuts. Truly helps and will be needed.
So far, only a few little scrapes. No superglue cuts yet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

Old 12-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post
How long did that take ya?
And how did you cut those metal studs? Tin snips?
Thanks Dave. It took about 3-4 hours to do the trusses from start to finish.

As for tools, there's a good article on Family Handyman's website (my favorite magazine) about working with metal studs. It outlines the basics and tells you what tools you need. Using Steel Studs: About Steel Studs

I spent about $40 on the "must have" tools and have used all of them:

1. Straight Cut Aviation Tin Snips

2. Hand Seamer ("duck bill pliers" for making bends)

3. Vise-Grip Locking "C" Clamp

4. 10" abrasive metal cutting wheel for my cut-off/mitre saw (not pictured). The cutting wheel makes it a breeze to cut the studs to the right lengths or to make mitre cuts. Significantly reduces the amount of "snipping" with the tin snips.
Attached Thumbnails
My Old Kentucky Dome Enclosure-img_2173.jpg  

Updated!

Old 12-03-2007, 12:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

That's a good 3-4 four hours of work you did there. Really prefessional! Looks as if your enclosure is going to live up to the standard set by your dome...

Frances
Old 12-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I installed the first two roof trusses and chimney today.

Question: Is it OK if the metal studs come in contact with the double-walled DuraTech chimney?

I braced the chimney with some metal studs near the top of the roof. From what I understand the outside temps of these chimney's are pretty low. Roof will be metal. If you all think this is not a good idea, I can always reposition the braces and wedge some insulation board or blanket scraps between them.

Updated!

Old 12-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ken, wouldn't the significance of the trust meeting the chimney at apex be as much of impact as strapping the chimney? Same thing... metal to metal.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 12-05-2007, 05:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Robert,

I think on a house, building code doesn't allow the chimney pipe to touch building materials, trusses, roofing, etc. You are supposed to use stand-offs, insulated bracing, etc.

Since this is a "free-standing fireplace" that stuff may not apply. I just want to make sure everyone thinks it's safe.

Updated!

Old 12-05-2007, 07:33 AM
Journeyman

Ken

I didn't feel comfortable running by trusses against the chimney so I left a few inches of space and ran metal joists on either side of the chimney to connect the two trusses. The chimney does not run hot, but I was not sure how hot it would get in an enclosure with no ambient air to help cool. I was also concerned about roof movement and the trusses pushing on the chimney. The last concern seems to be unfounded as after I got everything in place and screwed on the roof got very solid.

Two things I would recommend would be to construct your roof in a way to leave an access point, if you ever need to open up and take a peek inside. The other would be to safety wire the vent anchor to the frame. Just in case it came loose the chimney would not be able to go anywhere.

Last edited by wlively; 12-05-2007 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlively View Post
I didn't feel comfortable running by trusses against the chimney so I left a few inches of space and ran metal joists on either side of the chimney to connect the two trusses.
This is almost identical to what I have now, except the metal joists on either side of the chimney actually touch the chimney to brace it.

Even without the roofing or wall material, the structure is firming up more and more as I add components. I'll probably add some hurricane ties (made of scrap studs) to the trusses to make darn sure they won't go anywhere in a storm.

Quote:
leave an access point, if you ever need to open up and take a peek inside.
The access point idea sounds like a winner.

Updated!

Old 12-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Serf

Ken,

Truss work looks very nice. I also agree access points are good.

To aid in getting rid of heat and moisture build-up; are you going to have a couple of screened louvered vents at the peaks? Just a thought.

Guerito