Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My Old Kentucky Dome Enclosure

Hey, you are a pilot, if you think it will fly - I'm good with that.

Les..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

First coat of stucco applied. I'm using three coats of Sakrete Type-S Mortar/Stucco Mix. I figure a three coat system will give me two coats to practice with before the "nice" coat.

Stucco was applied directly to the well-moistened cement board. I considered using metal lath, but found enough opinions at Home Depot, Lowe's and the internet that recommended I could skip it. I did use fiber-tape on the corners and seams. So far-so good: after two days of curing, the stuff seems to be adhering well to the board.

After the finish coat, I will paint the stucco with custom tinted masonry/stucco paint from Lowe's or HD. I wanted to used colored stucco but it was going to be a hassle to get the exact color that the boss wants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

Old 07-25-2008, 06:26 AM
Apprentice

Ken, I don't know if you feel like this project is dragging on, but I'm sort of glad you're still working. I've been following your build since I started reading these forums a few months ago, and it's been a lot of fun to watch.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:27 AM
Master Builder

The darker color really makes a difference already. It's looking great. Will the stucco be off-white or something darker?

Old 07-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_ View Post
Ken, I don't know if you feel like this project is dragging on, but I'm sort of glad you're still working.
Thanks Ed,

No, I don't feel like it's dragging. I'm really enjoying all the different phases and skills that need to be learned. Stucco is kind of fun once you get the hang of it!

Updated!

Old 07-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhansen View Post
The darker color really makes a difference already. It's looking great. Will the stucco be off-white or something darker?
The dark color is pretty cool... But it won't be there for long. I'm using generic gray stucco/mortar from Lowe's. After the final coat cures for a few weeks, I'm going to paint it with a yellowish cream color to match the siding on our house.

Updated!

Old 08-03-2008, 07:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The second coat of stucco is complete. I mortared in place some decorative tiles that we bought in New Mexico. The tiles will be flush with the 3rd coat of mortar.

Updated!

Old 08-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Stucco work is complete! The 3 coat system worked very well. I was able to gain some rudimentary skill during the first two coats so my last coat looks acceptable. I finished it with a float moving in a light circular motion.

I embedded the tiles we bought in New Mexico in the third coat. Everyone seems to like those. On the back wall I did some stamping (close-ups on next post).

In a week or two, I'll paint the stucco. I think we've settled on a color.

Updated!

Last edited by Ken524; 08-04-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Kokopelli!

Updated!

Old 08-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Journeyman

Ken,

Looks great!!!!

Dick