Old 06-30-2008, 07:06 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: My Old Kentucky Dome Enclosure

Ken

Did you buy the amount of veneer to exactly cover the sq footage of your stand, or did you over estimate? Just trying to get an idea for when I have to go get some soon. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Master Builder

Veneer half-way up - never thought of that but I like it!
You're giving me ideas ...
Old 07-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlf5 View Post
Did you buy the amount of veneer to exactly cover the sq footage of your stand, or did you over estimate? Just trying to get an idea for when I have to go get some soon. Thanks.
Sorry I missed this post!

I took the square footage and some drawings to the brick store and they helped me estimate how many boxes of flats and corners to buy (I ended up buying 5 boxes of flats and 2 boxes of corners. As it turns out, that was a hair over, so I went ahead and did the front face of the cantilever and went up 2 extra rows. I really like how it turned out.

Updated!

Old 07-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Stonework is now complete. Ready to stucco! I'm really happy with how it turned out. I had a few extra pieces so I did the cantilever and above the oven door.

Updated!

Old 07-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Journeyman

Absolutely gorgeous work! It's almost officially, completely, absolutely done. What in the world will you do with yourself now?
Old 07-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modthyrth View Post
Absolutely gorgeous work! It's almost officially, completely, absolutely done. What in the world will you do with yourself now?
Well, let me take a look at the list...

1. Build an arbor over adjacent patio
2. Run electric from pool breaker box to arbor
3. Install outlets, outdoor ceiling fans, and a floodlight to illuminate oven door
4. Lay pavers around oven base and connect to patio slab
5. Build food prep table next to oven on pavers.

That ought to keep me busy
The nice thing is that after building an oven, all that other stuff will be a breeze!

Updated!

Old 07-21-2008, 07:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks awesome Ken - Great job!

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:27 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
Sorry I missed this post!

I took the square footage and some drawings to the brick store and they helped me estimate how many boxes of flats and corners to buy (I ended up buying 5 boxes of flats and 2 boxes of corners. As it turns out, that was a hair over, so I went ahead and did the front face of the cantilever and went up 2 extra rows. I really like how it turned out.
Thanks! I'll probably make my way to the brickyard soon. Gotta finish the dome first! (so says the boss)

Old 07-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Master Builder

Excellent work as always, Ken! I like the stone on the soffit and cantilever; really ties it all together.

Did you use or need any kind of flashing over the top of the rock facing? A mason friend of mine said I absolutely need flashing over the top of any exterior stone or brickwork to prevent water from getting behind it. I have no idea if that's true or not.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhansen View Post
Excellent work as always, Ken! I like the stone on the soffit and cantilever; really ties it all together.
Thanks!

Quote:
Did you use or need any kind of flashing over the top of the rock facing? A mason friend of mine said I absolutely need flashing over the top of any exterior stone or brickwork to prevent water from getting behind it. I have no idea if that's true or not.
Nope! No flashing. I'm not a mason... hopefully, what I don't know won't hurt me .

I'm going to stucco the sides of the walls above the stonework. I figure the stucco will end up being 1/4" thick or so and overlap the mortar joints connecting the stone to the walls. I don't see how rainwater will be able to drip behind the stone once the stucco is on (the stone is actually a concrete product if that makes a difference).

The cantilever will have tile installed on it overlapping the edge of the stone work, protecting it from water intrusion as well. I think it should be ok.

Any pros want to chime in??

Updated!