Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

Looks great. I actually had to cut more off the sides of my half bricks b/c I couldn't cut the top/bottom faces with my saw. The brick would be too big to clear the saw at 112mm. Now they're more like 88mm.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlf5 View Post
I couldn't cut the top/bottom faces with my saw. The brick would be too big to clear the saw at 112mm.
I have the same problem. I set up two jigs on my saw table, one to the left of the blade and one to the right.

The blade is raised up so the brick will just fit under the blade arbor. I can cut about 3/4 of the way through on the first pass, then flip the brick, put it on the opposite side jig and cut the remainder. It takes some tweaking to get the c-clamps adjusted just right, but once it's set up I can rip through 30 half bricks in about 20 minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ken, are you posting all work in photo gallery? It would be nice to see all progress in one set.
James, I hope that the idea of the yearly grand prize is oving foreword. This would be so inspirational to all.
Ken, your work is looking strong. Your solder is on the oven floor, what had you go with this idea rather than around the oven floor, on the hearth?
Old 09-23-2007, 08:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoma View Post
Your solder is on the oven floor, what had you go with this idea rather than around the oven floor, on the hearth?
Hey Acoma,

I've been following Ken from the beginning.
If you will look at his Picasa photos and look at the pics from the beginning, you can see that his oven is set on sections of Kaowool. And that is what his soldier course is set on.

Nice work indeed.

And I do expect some Monday photos Ken.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 09-23-2007, 01:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoma View Post
Ken, are you posting all work in photo gallery? It would be nice to see all progress in one set.
Yep! Click the Photo Gallery link, then click "K". My pics are all there (or you can click on my Picasa album as Dave mentioned.)

Quote:
Your solder is on the oven floor, what had you go with this idea rather than around the oven floor, on the hearth?
My Kaowool boards look a bit different than the CalSil sheets others are using. I think that's what's giving you that impression. My dome and floor are both sitting directly on insulation board.

Thanks for the comments!

Updated!

Old 09-23-2007, 02:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post
And I do expect some Monday photos Ken.
We took a road trip to Columbus, OH to see Genesis in concert last night. No oven progress to show, but the concert was well worth it!

Updated!

Old 09-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
We took a road trip to Columbus, OH to see Genesis in concert last night. No oven progress to show, but the concert was well worth it!
I guess I'll give ya a break.

If you like Genesis, then you must be about my age.......

I used to love them, but haven't listened to Phil and the band lately.

I guess I need to bust out some MP3s.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 09-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Journeyman

Ken

Did you find that you used a LOT of mortar for your soldier course? I guess I was spoiled by the 2mm thick mortar joints of my floor bricks, but I'm averaging about 1/2 inch for the soldiers...more if I get slightly off track and have to correct for it.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Picasa showed all. Like what I see.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlf5 View Post
Did you find that you used a LOT of mortar for your soldier course? ...I'm averaging about 1/2 inch for the soldiers
Ron,

I cut my soldier bricks to fit, so I didn't see any 1/2" joints. I did have a few 1/4" joints where I screwed up here and there. Overall, I did use quite a bit of mortar for the soldier course. The face of the bricks have a lot of surface area, I think that's what consumed the mortar.

The higher courses are definitely using less and less. I didn't see any pics of your soldier course on your Picasa page.

Updated!