Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2007, 08:07 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

Your arch looks great. I would think that 48hrs would be enough.

I didn't trust my mortar skills, so I custom cut my vent arch and in theory it should be free standing right away. I took a deep breath and decided to test the theory,so as soon as it was complete I pulled the form. It didn't move and I couldn't believe I actually did it right the first time.

Last edited by wlively; 08-31-2007 at 08:15 PM. Reason: oops
Old 08-31-2007, 08:19 PM
Journeyman

The arch forms can be removed now. Just be careful not to exert any upward strain when removing them or you may break your bond, it will not fall but you will see the crack along a joint. If this does happen you can always go back and fill it. then do the acid wash.
For these bricks you kept them pretty clean so all you would need was a ounce or 2 of acid in a gallon and a big sponge. Wipe the "bloom" (cement residue) off the brick faces. and then rinse with a vinegar solution of the same ratio.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unofornaio View Post
The arch forms can be removed now. Just be careful not to exert any upward strain
Done! My form was constructed so I could remove 2 screws and drop it straight down 2cm. Worked like a charm.

Quote:
For these bricks you kept them pretty clean so all you would need was a ounce or 2 of acid in a gallon and a big sponge. Wipe the "bloom" (cement residue) off the brick faces. and then rinse with a vinegar solution of the same ratio.
Thank you for the advice! I ran to the hardware store this morning and bought muriatic acid, gloves and acid brush. While I couldn't remove every bit of debris, the bricks brightened up considerably.
Attached Thumbnails
My Old Kentucky Dome-img_1530.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Started work on the hearth bricks this weekend.

I drew a template on 4 pieces of foam board taped together; cut it out with a box cutter. Traced a rough pattern on the garage floor with chalk then arranged the bricks on the floor (in hindsight, I should have placed my insulation boards down first).

I then traced the pattern onto the bricks with pencil and started cutting. I was surprised at how fast, easy and accurately the cutting went. The Harbor Freight saw rocks!

Next step will be to transfer the bricks onto the insulation board and cut the first course of wall bricks.
Attached Thumbnails
My Old Kentucky Dome-img_1535.jpg   My Old Kentucky Dome-img_1540.jpg   My Old Kentucky Dome-img_1542.jpg   My Old Kentucky Dome-img_1543.jpg   My Old Kentucky Dome-img_1544.jpg  

Updated!

Old 09-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

ken...... you need to slow down

I was trying to keep up!

Looking good though!

Do me a favor please sir?

You gotta tell me how you got your spreadsheet to be public....

Thanks !

My costs:

My pics:

Old 09-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post
You gotta tell me how you got your spreadsheet to be public....
I like easy questions!
Open your Google Spreadsheet then click the "Publish" tab on the top, right side of the sheet. It will give you the URL of your newly published, public sheet.

Updated!

Old 09-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Journeyman

Hey Ken,

I just checked out your Picasa site. What is that a mini concrete truck?
Old 09-08-2007, 08:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unofornaio View Post
Hey Ken,
I just checked out your Picasa site. What is that a mini concrete truck?
Yep! I put a post about it in the Tools, Tips and Techniques board.
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...html#post13470 (Concrete by the wheelbarrow, mixer, trailer or pump)

It was a cool little truck. About the size of an F550 with a mixer on it. The company has 4 or 5 of them.

Updated!

Old 09-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That truck is a great idea. It would be nice to see more of this option with the cement companies.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ken!

I was checking out your spreadsheet.......

You bought more bricks a couple days ago, and heat stop!

I'm thinking we are gonna get some dome pics very soon!

I wish I lived close by I would enjoy helping out.

Let me know how it goes!

The floor is looking good.

And I meant to ask... How are you gonna finish the sides of the stand and around that awesome brick arch?

Man, I can't wait to buy some bricks.
Maybe next weekend.

My costs:

My pics: