Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2008, 02:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

Quote:
Originally Posted by biondoli View Post
Ken, why not aluminum foil so just in case some heat will escape will not burn the plastic film...
I'm only concerned that the plastic wrap does it's job while the concrete is setting. I don't want moisture from the concrete screwing up my insulation board. After that, it can burn up and disappear.

Ken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mmmm, burning plastic! Blow the fumes my way Ken!

-
Old 04-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

One hot fire ought to take care of it

Updated!

Old 04-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I was able to get back to work today (hooray!). I'm happy to report that my soggy, squishy insulation board has dried out and is hard as a rock <sigh of relief>.

Today was insulation day. I bought some foam board from Office Depot and set it up around the oven. I inserted some plastic coated hardware cloth for additional support (why do they call it hardware cloth? )

I then mixed and poured 4 batches of vermiculite/portland cement. 5 buckets of vermic + 3/4 bucket of portland. I used a large plastic garbage can to mix it in. I think I'm about half done. I'll try to finish tomorrow.

The BIG question is when to pull the foam forms. I can't help but comment (like dozens of others) about how weird this stuff is and I wonder if it will hold it's shape or crumble when I pull the forms. I'll definitely pull the forms after I have some Hardibacker in place. If it all disintegrates, I'll just add loose-fill vermic.

Another question for you pros: Home Depot has both 1/4" and 1/2" Hardibacker. Is 1/4" adequate or do I need the 1/2"? Final finish will be stucco over the Hardibacker.

Thanks gang! If feels WONDERFUL to be in the WFO business again!

Updated!

Old 04-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think we have 3/8th and 1/2 inch backer board here. I was just reading the signs today. Seems like the 1/2 inch is for laying tiles on walls. The 3/8th for tiles on flat surfaces. I didn't inquire so I'm not 100% sure on that. To be safe, the 1/2 inch might be a better choice at 2 bucks more per board.

-
Old 04-17-2008, 06:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Ken! I'll bet it does feel good to be back in business!

One question: Why not just leave the foam forms in place? Shouldn't hurt and no one's going to see inside the enclosure anyway.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
One question: Why not just leave the foam forms in place? Shouldn't hurt and no one's going to see inside the enclosure anyway.
Frances,

I actually considered that. Unless there is a catastrophic failure somewhere, the foam won't ever see any real heat above ambient. If they do, I'll have bigger problems to deal with .

I may just secure them with a bit more duct tape or aluminum tape and leave them be. Right now, some of the duct tape is having a hard time staying "stuck". Most of the boards are being supported by the steel studs. Leaving them in is certainly an option.

Updated!

Old 04-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

EaRtHqUaKe PROOF!

We awake this morning to quite a shake. The whole house was rattling along with the 5.3 quake that hit the central US this morning. I'm glad to report that there doesn't appear to be any damage to the oven.

I got out early this morning and finished up the vermiculite insulation. Glad that's done!

Updated!

Old 04-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Serf

Ken, 1/4" hardi board is designed for horizontal application and 1/2" can be used for either horizontal or vertical. In vertical application the 1/2" is treated just like sheet rock on 16" centers. I've enjoyed following your pictorial progress.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
EaRtHqUaKe PROOF!

That's the spirit - don't check the house for damage, but by gosh, the oven's still standing!!!