Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

Ciao Ken, porceilan is good for outdoor, choose the ticker one as there are very tiny tiles as well, the other option is granite tiles, they are becaming cheaper now and they look better...just another option. Hope to start on mine this week end! Carlo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ken - I went w/ Porcelain. Made it through the winter with no problems. I used the recommended thin set for installation, a little more money but it obviously worked. I found the selection to be very limited, I settled for the attached thumbnail. Carlo, they advised me not to use granite as it will most likely crack in this environment.

Les...
Attached Thumbnails
My Old Kentucky Dome-les-oven-045.jpg  

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ken,

You're a patient man: good work. Remember, the concrete screws should be just snug, not tight.

Jim
Old 03-26-2008, 02:43 PM
Journeyman

Glad spring has arrived and you're able to start back on this project. I'm also glad to see soot on your entry area, after seeing your video and that draw I saw was great I was wondering if I had to do my chimney area over again. It seems to draw good, I'm wondering if my wood isn't season enough.
I see you have the arch/vent area covered with the blanket, have you noticed that area getting hot?
Enjoy the spring, it will get hot to soon.

"It's time to go Vertical"

Old 03-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Ken - I went w/ Porcelain. Made it through the winter with no problems. I used the recommended thin set for installation, a little more money but it obviously worked. I found the selection to be very limited, I settled for the attached thumbnail. Carlo, they advised me not to use granite as it will most likely crack in this environment.

Les...
Les, I have the same grill, got it at Loews two years ago. A year later I find out that Jenn-aire just slaps their name on it and a so-so company makes it. HD and Loews does the same thing with their wet saws. Haven't had any issues with the grill so pleased it's holding up. All the appliances for our new house were also JA and I'm glad I got their extended warranty - already paid for itself.
We'll use the grill for quick items put plan on using the WFO much more versus the rotassiare.

"It's time to go Vertical"

Old 03-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
We looked at porcelain tile at Home Depot last week. They have some nice stuff that looks like stone. That's probably the way I'll finish the landing. Fast and easy. Anyone have any advice in this area?? Is porcelain tile a reasonable outdoor finish material?
We went with slate for a rustic look, but I am guessing that it's going to be a bear to keep clean. I'm a slave to fashion.

Ceramic tile sounds perfect. Hearty, good-looking and easy to clean. If you do a good job of sealing the mortar it will keep your counter nice and fresh.
James

Old 03-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLake View Post
Les, I have the same grill, got it at Loews two years ago.

Don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but... RC - do you have the quick disconnects on the gas line. Every once in a while I smell gas and that's where it has to be coming from. When I do the soap and water trick I see nothing.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by biondoli View Post
the other option is granite tiles, they are becaming cheaper now and they look better...just another option.
Thank Carlo! Does the granite or porcelain require any sort of sealer after grouting? I've heard that some natural stone needs to be sealed for outdoor use. I appreciate the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
I went w/ Porcelain. Made it through the winter with no problems... they advised me not to use granite as it will most likely crack in this environment.
Thanks Les. I have been warned by someone in a home store about using some types of stone. I don't remember which ones are safe. Your porcelain work looks very nice. Thanks for the pic! I definitely won't go wrong going that route.

Updated!

Old 03-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckJim View Post
You're a patient man: good work. Remember, the concrete screws should be just snug, not tight.
Got it. Thanks!!

Updated!

Old 03-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLake View Post
I'm also glad to see soot on your entry area, after seeing your video and that draw I saw was great I was wondering if I had to do my chimney area over again.
Actually, most of that soot was from when I started a fire on the landing and hearth trying to dry out my insulation board. I wouldn't touch your vent. It looks great and I'll bet if draws just fine.

Quote:
I see you have the arch/vent area covered with the blanket, have you noticed that area getting hot?
Yeah, it gets pretty warm. I probably don't need the blankets, but I had the extra pieces so I threw them on.

Updated!