Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

That looks great! What are your plans for the rest of the stand?

-- Yogi Berra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT62 View Post
That looks great! What are your plans for the rest of the stand?
I wish I knew! I'm sort of making it up as I go.
Most likely it will be a southwestern (U.S.) style stucco.

I've been having so much fun working on the stand, I have sort of forgotten to go get my firebrick and cal-sil sheets.

Ken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

Old 08-31-2007, 01:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Finished the wood storage arch last night. It wasn't as difficult as I thought. Getting the keystone inserted with the limited space above was a bit tricky.

If a pro had done my brickwork, I would make him tear it down and do it again. Since I did it, I'm pretty proud of it and will accept the "Rustic" look

Note about the pictures:
This is my first attempt at masonry. I have no idea if I did this correctly. The photos are provided for entertainment purposes only and are not intended as educational material!
Attached Thumbnails
My Old Kentucky Dome-img_1516.jpg   My Old Kentucky Dome-img_1517.jpg   My Old Kentucky Dome-img_1518.jpg   My Old Kentucky Dome-img_1523.jpg  

Updated!

Old 08-31-2007, 01:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks great Ken...very professional looking!
Old 08-31-2007, 05:29 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

I like that. Very nice -- I am really coming to like the curved arch into the storage.

Do you like working with the hollow bricks for decorative brickwork? Would our pro builders recommend doing that? I am guess that it is lighter and the bricks and mortar adhere better.

Finally, how did you calculate your brick layout to set the screws in the mortar? Again, would our pros recommend that.

The curved landing and curve storage frame work well together.
James

Old 08-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Do you like working with the hollow bricks for decorative brickwork?
This is my first attempt at any brickwork so I'm really not qualified to answer.

Quote:
I am guess that it is lighter and the bricks and mortar adhere better.
I suspect the hollows do hold the mortar better. I used a couple of cut solid bricks for the tops of the columns. They were considerably heavier and the mortar seemed to slide off easier... but that may be due to my lack of skill.

Quote:
Finally, how did you calculate your brick layout to set the screws in the mortar?
A few posts up I posted a photo of the arch test fitted with the bricks propped into position with bits of styrofoam and rocks. I placed pencil marks on the curved form and the block wall as guides (I still screwed up a couple of joints even with the pencil marks!). Once I had the marks, I drilled a few holes where the joints would go and screwed in 2" wood screws (about 1.5" sticking out).

My father-in-law (retired mason) recommended that I do something to help attach the bricks to the block wall. When I gave him the wood screw idea, he said it should work.

Quote:
The curved landing and curve storage frame work well together.
James
Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how this is turning out.

Updated!

Old 08-31-2007, 06:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yeah, It's looking great!

I wanted to catch up to you, but I won't be able to pour my hearth until at least next weekend.

But I sure like your curved arch and cantilever.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 08-31-2007, 06:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post
I wanted to catch up to you, but I won't be able to pour my hearth until at least next weekend.
You'll catch up! My local supplier for Cal-Sil sheets is backordered. I have to scramble on Monday and start calling refractory and insulation places.

Updated!

Old 08-31-2007, 06:39 PM
Journeyman

Very nice looking work. Go over those with a little bit of acid wash and they will really look great.

James- the hollow brick really are not much different to lay.

Most real manufactured brick (not the home depot in stock reds) have cores or holes. Most manufactures also offer solids in the same style. This is for end pieces or somewhere you will see the holes. You can easily tell an unprofessional job by the last brick on a cap being a core instead of a solid. I got a booklet from Lowe's a couple of months ago, for their wood working club and right there on the front page was a patio that had a brick sitting wall and the last brick was a 3 hole core. Un freaking believable.

As to the screws to hold the brick, wall ties are made for this. They are a galvanized corrugated piece of metal with pre stamped holes for nails.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unofornaio View Post
Very nice looking work. Go over those with a little bit of acid wash and they will really look great.
Thank you. I have been reading up on the acid wash and will definitely do that.

Any idea when it will be safe to remove the arch form? The mortar feels hard as a rock after 24 hours but I don't want to pull the form too soon. I have been keeping it wet.

Quote:
As to the screws to hold the brick, wall ties are made for this. They are a galvanized corrugated piece of metal with pre stamped holes for nails.
Ahhhh... something to remember for the next project

Updated!