Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2007, 08:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

Quote:
Originally Posted by biondoli View Post
So I would reinforce it asap, and not only the base, you need to reinforce the full sides because the arch is going to tranfer the weight to the sides and not down.
Thanks Carlo... I'm brainstorming the engineering of it right now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Master Builder

Ken,
The internet never ceases to amaze me. You produce an obscure pizza oven video in Lousville, KY., and some poor sap in Sacramento CA. has the song "Mi Amouri" stuck in his head for two days! Remarkable.

dusty
Old 11-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I've read about this "bowing" possibility in other threads. I'm not sure I agree with it. Once the mortar sets in the arch, the arch is a solid object resting on the side walls. Any weight on the arch should be translated vertically to the walls.

Ken - I agree with you in part. If we had a "true" arch, I believe the weight would be transfered to the vertical direction. Our aches are more on the "flat" side, so I see the forces pushing horizontal. True, the bricks are mortared but they are solid, I don't think we get as much shear strength as we would with a core. I am going to add another row of core brick on the sides and may even put in some steel.

Good luck and great progress.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Les, with all the ovens built within the past year, and all the friends here speaking of experiences, none are saying they have had the bowing issue. All I am seeing are the various types of success with the arch and flue. Are you sure you aren't going overboard with the extra row and steel? You would likely be the first.
James and Jim, from all your tours and interactions with builders, does Les really need this much at the arch? Actually, any of you that have completed your ovens?

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 11-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoma View Post
Les, with all the ovens built within the past year, and all the friends here speaking of experiences, none are saying they have had the bowing issue.
Acoma,

Read the link I posted earlier from JC's experience (I reposted it below). While I'm not exactly overwrought with concern, I'm thinking an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/sa...elena#post6409 (Saint Helena Oven)

Updated!

Old 11-18-2007, 02:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
some poor sap in Sacramento CA. has the song "Mi Amouri" stuck in his head for two days!
Sorry Dusty! It's stuck in my head as well (and I'm not even a big Dean Martin fan)

Updated!

Old 11-18-2007, 05:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I feel a bit retarded since going back and noticing. Sorry Les, Ken and all. I would think that now to double up the arch wall and to reenforce with concrete like JC's at base would be cool.
Ken, you are also going to frame the exterior, similar to what I am going to do. I wonder if the idea of doubling will look wierd though?

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 11-18-2007, 06:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoma View Post
Sorry Les, Ken and all. I would think that now to double up the arch wall and to reenforce with concrete like JC's at base would be cool.
Ken, you are also going to frame the exterior, similar to what I am going to do. I wonder if the idea of doubling will look wierd though?
No apologies necessary. I can barely keep up with this thread!

Depending on where the reinforcement is and how it's framed, you won't see the doubling. I was hoping to frame it like Drake's, but doubling up the walls won't work with that. I started a new thread for this subject. Hopefully I can come up with something clever.

Updated!

Old 11-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You guys are making my head hurt............

Fire that badwfo up!

My costs:

My pics:

Old 11-20-2007, 06:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

After some marital negotiations, we've settled upon a plan for the enclosure. The first pic is the dome as it exists now, the second is how we would like it to look thanks to Photoshop.

I'd like to wish everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving! Have a great weekend guys and gals!

Updated!