Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2007, 06:45 AM
Peasant

Default Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

Quote:
I used HeatStop50 (dry) for everything. All joints are mortared.
I though you had left both your floor and the space between your floor and your soldier course without mortar.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboyblue View Post
I though you had left both your floor and the space between your floor and your soldier course without mortar.
You are correct... sorry for the confusion! I should have specified the dome and arches.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Master Builder

Thanks Ken. I ordered two bags of refmix yesterday from FB and it is sitting on my porch already today! I'm hoping that if I make most of the joints narrow enough that two bags may be enough mortar. I'll find out soon enough as I am anxious to get started.

dusty
Old 11-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

After a spell of cold weather, rain, and work I was finally able to finish my chimney transition today... And that also completes the oven!

Next task is to start assembling insulation, studs, and enclosure materials. Tomorrow I head out to the sheet metal roofing places and look at roofing material.

I'm going to give the vent a good week or two to cure before starting to play with fire.

Updated!

Old 11-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post

I'm going to give the vent a good week or two to cure before starting to play with fire.
You have much more patience than me Ken! I didn't wait long enough.. But (and James would agree) cracks add character!

I was wondering what you have been up to, and now I see.

The vent looks great!

A question for you though:
What size is the opening on the transition?
I need to go bigger.....
But I am just not sure how!

I will be anxiously waiting for fire pictures.

My costs:

My pics:

Last edited by asudavew; 11-16-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:55 PM
Journeyman

Man thats a nice transition. I didn't have the patience to lay bricks for mine. I'm trying not to rush, but I'm anxious to be done. Its a shame you're gonna cover up all that fine work with an enclosure.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Man thats a nice transition. I didn't have the patience to lay bricks for mine.
I considered casting or doing some sort of metal work, but in the end the bricks were actually the easiest for me. It really didn't take long at all. Most of it was spent waiting for dry warm weather to get out and do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlf5 View Post
Its a shame you're gonna cover up all that fine work with an enclosure.
I'm taking a LOT of pictures!

Updated!

Last edited by Ken524; 11-16-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post
What size is the opening on the transition? I need to go bigger.....
But I am just not sure how!
Dave,

My transition starts out underneath the arch and is pretty much the width of the arch, then slants upward to the top of the arch where it's about a half brick deep by about 13" wide (5 bricks on edge)

The transition is simply a square brick box with an 8"x8" interior sitting on top of it. I cut the lower bricks in wedge shapes to conform to the arch. Easy.

Will it work?? Beats me! I've never built one of these before.

Updated!

Old 11-16-2007, 08:42 PM
Peasant

Ken what kind of pipe is that? What is the reasoning behind using a steel chimney as opposed to making it all out of brick? Still looking great by the way.
d
Old 11-17-2007, 01:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ken - are you planning on solidifying the sides of your arch? We have a very similar situation. If we load the top of the arch, the force is pretty much going horizontal. I have a concern it might "blow" the wall. Before I build my entire vent, I was going to build up the sides. Whats your thought?

Fantastic job on your vent by the way, looking good!

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.