Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

Beautiful as usual.

I can't wait to see the finished arch.

When do you think you will get that badWFO fired up?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 11-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ken, I have total respect for the way you are doing the arch. Very creative. I will use that (maybe).

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 11-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post
When do you think you will get that badWFO fired up?
BadWFO... I like that one. Almost sounds like a bad word.

I figure I'll finish the arch, build the transition and mount the anchor plate before I start curing.

I just got my DuraTech Anchor Plate yesterday (thanks FornoBravo!). So I can start planning my vent. I hope I can start curing before Thanksgiving.

Dave, I'm totally impressed with your oven. Pretty cool seeing food coming out of it. I'm ready to start concentrating on FOOD instead of bricks!

Updated!

Old 11-09-2007, 07:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
Dave, I'm totally impressed with your oven. Pretty cool seeing food coming out of it. I'm ready to start concentrating on FOOD instead of bricks!
I appreciate it Ken.
It's kind of sad when the dome is done. But I must admit, it is a relief too.

And I was worried about the pizza...(would it really be that much better than the kitchen oven?)...but trust me, when you do eat your first one! You will know it was all worth it.

Make the dough wet/sticky and retard it for a day.
It really enhances the flavor, and increases the rise........ Lessons I've learned here.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 11-09-2007, 07:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post
Make the dough wet/sticky and retard it for a day.
It really enhances the flavor, and increases the rise........ Lessons I've learned here.
I'll be loaded with questions when it comes time to cook. I have a lot of research to do. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to dough, yeast, retarding, etc.

To date, the fanciest pizza I've ever made uses Ragu Pizza Quick for the sauce. I thought it tasted pretty good. Looks like I have a lot to learn.

Ken

Updated!

Old 11-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post

To date, the fanciest pizza I've ever made uses Ragu Pizza Quick for the sauce. I thought it tasted pretty good.
Ken
I used the Ragu Pizza Quick sauce quite a bit... I've tried many others... canned... cold... bags... jars...etc.

It actually is one of the better one's I have used.

I feel a flaming coming for admitting that....

Let it begin.

You can't beat the San Marzano canned tomatoes though. Give em a try!

My costs:

My pics:

Old 11-09-2007, 09:08 AM
Master Builder

Have never tried a canned premade sauce.

Looks like I should keep a jar or two on hand for that quick spur of the moment pizza with frozen/refrigerated dough.....

Christo

Old 11-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by christo View Post
Have never tried a canned premade sauce.
Ummm... What other kind of sauce is there?

Updated!

Old 11-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Instead of just a plain old rectangular slot for my vent, I decided to make it more complicated, thus requiring more cuts, time and aggravation.

The idea (borrowed from others, of course) is to try to grab as much smoke leaving the oven and give it an easy way to flow up to the chimney. I made some 45deg cuts on the outer vent arch bricks. The next set of arch bricks will have similar cuts continuing the 45deg angle up to the top of the vent.

If I'm not describing this well, I'll have more pics tomorrow after the next set of bricks are set.

Updated!

Old 11-10-2007, 09:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here are the last two special cut bricks for the vent.

Here they are installed.

I should have the arch finished later today.

Updated!