Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2007, 04:13 PM

Default Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboyblue View Post
Also Dmun, can such an attachment as you showed be put on or was that just theoretical?
Absolutely. You wouldn't want to use a real sine plate, of course. It would turn into a solidified mound of rust within a week.

This shows my 7.5 degree fixed angle jig, screwed to the table using angled strips. Now imagine if that piece of plywood was hinged to the table instead, next to the cut line. Then you could put blocks under the table to achieve any angle you wanted.

Here's how a sine plate works. The hinge, and a matching bar, fixed to the hinged table, are exactly five inches apart. A table in Machinery's Handbook, or a simple trig calculation, or a guesstimate with a protractor, will tell you how high to raise the table for every desired angle.

You can then tilt the brick on top of the tilted table for compound angles.

Last edited by dmun; 10-15-2007 at 04:24 PM. Reason: fixed table link
Old 10-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice jig Dmun! That's a good idea.

Danny, I'll second (or third) the motion for using a wet saw over a dry saw. The dust goes EVERYWHERE. The few times I've used my wet saw without water for quick cuts, I've been sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

8th Course completed earlier this week before the rains.

The last photo shows where I corrected for the poor workmanship done on the transition (I fired that guy!). Everything should be close enough for the 9th course to be fairly level. I may hit a few edges with the grinder.

Hendo's pictures of his microscopic sized joints have inspired me to shoot for a bit of improvement for course 9.

Time to start cutting bricks before the next round of rain!

Updated!

Old 10-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Peasant

Great job with the ajustment. I was wondering what you were going to do with that.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboyblue View Post
I was wondering what you were going to do with that.
Shims, wedges, scraps and mortar!

Updated!

Old 10-22-2007, 06:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

9th course is served...

I experimented a bit with this one. There was a very small change in brick elevation on this course so I didn't cut the bottoms of the bricks, I used scrap brick for shims to raise the bricks. Worked out very well.

The sides were trimmed just enough to give a close interior joint (no "V"). The exterior joints still have the "V" but that will be covered up anyway.

Cutting went quickly. It was a good compromise for nice looking interior joints vs. my short attention span for detailed precision cutting.

Updated!

Old 10-22-2007, 07:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looking awesome Ken.

I respect your skillz. Even more so now! Especially after my last few courses!

Yikes!! Was it ugly.

I was cutting bricks into fours... trying to use old triangle shaped pieces.. etc. etc. And the last courses... More square I'd say than round !

Keep it up man!
Can't wait to see the final product.

BTW - Are you a pilot, or were you traveling on business?

My costs:

My pics:

Old 10-22-2007, 07:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post
Looking awesome Ken.
Keep it up man!
Can't wait to see the final product.
ME TOO!

Quote:
BTW - Are you a pilot, or were you traveling on business?
I'm a pilot for UPS. Here's my website (one of my other hobbies): DC8.org

Updated!

Old 10-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

So I guess you fly a DC-8?

I don't know much about airplanes or jets, but man that is cool!

I'm just a boring bean counter!

I do have a question for you.... On your website you have a part where anyone can submit a DC ad... Upon submission you can restore their old photo/ad.

My mom sent me an old picture of herself posing with her mother, father, and siblings. It needs restoration... Can you tell me the program that you use to restore old clippings and photos? I will be seeing her at Thanksgiving, and I would love to have it restored for her as a surprise gift.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 10-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oh.. one more thing?

Would you have opened that last package?

Or left it alone.. i.e. "Hank's Style?"

(Somebody had to ask.....)

My costs:

My pics: