Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

[QUOTE=rlf5;16312]I may just have to load up on ceramic blanket b/c my left and right sides aren't going to leave any room for vermiculite if I go with the enclosure.

Ken

You can get away with the insulation idea without the loose vermiculite if you do the enclosure. The loose vermiculite for the enclosure, in addition to the steps I shared (compliments of Jim) is added insurance for the dome. If you still want the enclosure and you go with the insulation steps I mentioned, you should still have a solid, well insulated dome for the oven. I ask that if anyone out there disagrees or has better method, please share.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brauma View Post
Question: did you stack your cinder blocks dry with no mortar? Looks like it.
Yes... Dry stacked, then filled every other hole with concrete and rebar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Are you progressing?

Any new pictures?

I've managed to redo my arch, but I have some big joints on the outside of the dome. I am, however, making some progress.

I think I'm on about the 4th course after the soldier course. It is really starting to turn in, so I will see how well the bricks "stay" in place on the next course. And trying to tie in the arch with dome, isn't so easy either.....

But I can taste the pizza already!

My costs:

My pics:

Old 10-09-2007, 02:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dave, you are so close. Don't rush the process, and take a photo.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 10-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Apprentice

Hi Ken,
are you happy with your Harborfreight saw? did it work ok? I am planning to build the oven and I was thinking to buy the same you have, thanks Carlo
Old 10-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by biondoli View Post
Hi Ken,
are you happy with your Harborfreight saw? did it work ok? I am planning to build the oven and I was thinking to buy the same you have, thanks Carlo
Carlo,

Yes, I'm very happy with the HF saw. Go for it. If I did it again, I would buy the replacement warranty that they offer when you purchase it. My water pump is starting to go on the fritz and I'll probably be shopping for a new one this week.

Updated!

Old 10-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Before we went out of town last weekend, I finished the 5th course:

Here's some detail of the arch/dome transition starting to take shape:

Updated!

Old 10-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Finished the 6th course this afternoon...

Transition detail:

Kind of cool that it no longer looks like a model of the old Cincinnati Reds stadium and is starting to look like a pizza oven!

Updated!

Old 10-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

One more pic... Interior through the entry arch:

Updated!

Old 10-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ken, I love the look. Your dome is clean and shaping well. Two questions:
1) Why no entry cut for a door along the wall?
2) Why the 1-2" width cuts throughout the 5th and 6th course?

Acoma's Tuscan: