Old 12-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: my new oven in progress summer 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Thanks for the info, did you use a lot of re-bar?
yes, a must, if you can make 1ft. squares
Old 12-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Apprentice

Cool Re: my new oven in progress summer 08

Thanks for the info. good luck on the turkey, boy what an early snow fall I'am having, looks like you too Bye
Old 12-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Apprentice

Lightbulb Re: my new oven in progress summer 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalecki View Post
Thanks for the turkey info! I think I'm going to try a practice turkey before I go for the big one.
O.K. but I forgot to mention the brine on the night before,I got it from the foodnetwork.com Bobby Flay brined, herb roast turkey I did not follow the cooking and stuffing process to a t,.good luck
Old 12-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Serf

Sounds good. Thanks
Old 01-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Apprentice

my new oven in progress summer 08-dscf1050.jpg my Christmass bake

my new oven in progress summer 08-dscf1045.jpg

my new oven in progress summer 08-dscf1048.jpg

my new oven in progress summer 08-dscf1053.jpg

my new oven in progress summer 08-dscf1057.jpg
Old 01-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Apprentice

wife and mother inlaw major players in the cooking dept.
Attached Thumbnails
my new oven in progress summer 08-dscf1056.jpg   my new oven in progress summer 08-dscf1052.jpg   my new oven in progress summer 08-dscf1055.jpg  
Old 01-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Apprentice

Lightbulb Re: my new oven in progress summer 08

can anyone tell me how to place more insulation on the cooking floor ,can I place a compressed thin ceramic insulating blanket(1/4 inch) on my existing floor and place a layer of new firebrick, for more heat retention.The height of entrance is 13 1/2'' tall,the inside height of dome is 23 1/2'' it looks doable to me ,any thoughts out there. I'm trying to retain more heat in the dome ,made an error on placing vermiculite insulation layer under floor of the oven only and not the entrance and it is countersunk in the concrete slab the sidewall of the verm. insul. is touching the concrete, basically I built a slab with a circle of 50'' of vermiculite in the center of it at the same level did not leave a space between side walls of vermiculite and concrete,and placed the floor on top of that therefore the floor bricks are touching the concrete slab, during the summer I noticed the concrete slab was very warm during a 4-5 hour pizza party cooking of 25-30 pizzas is that normal or am I trying to create more work for myself by insulating the floor. thanks for your thoughts. Phil.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:55 PM

A quarter inch of insulation isn't going to do you much of any good. You didn't say how thick the vermiculite concrete was, under your existing floor.

I wouldn't worry about the heat leak unless you can't get your oven up to pizza temperatures.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Concur with dmun on the quarter inch of insulation. I scanned your thread quicky (I've been away for awile). I don't think you loose too much heat from the floor into the entryway, even if that floor is not insulated underneath.

Mine is a similar setup. Rains here cause the entyway to get a bit damp. Three fires to pizza temps have yet to completely dry the outermost entryway bricks. They steam a bit, but I can easily cook pizzas and bread, with negligible negative results in heat loss. Certainly, I do loose heat from the floor due to this, but not so much that I'm going to modify the oven greatly to change it.

I have seriously considered adding an additional layer of half firebricks on top of the existing floor to improve the heat/cooking characterististics. The daunting task of cutting the bricks to fit the inside of the dome have dissuaded me so far.

-
Old 01-27-2009, 07:27 AM
Apprentice

thanks for your response Dmun & gjbinham, ok then I guess I would like to keep more heat for a more prolonged time to your question dmun, the vrmcult insltn is 4 inches under the cooking floor,and gibinham yes the work of placing another layer of bricks on top of existing ,is far to much for close quarters,well maybe when I fill the dome enclosure with loose vermiculite(there is only a 1/2'' refrct. cement and 1''ceramic blanket on dome) and insulate the steel door it will improve heat retention. thanks you saved me money and WORK