Old 07-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Serf

Default Re: My Modified Barrel Vault in Texas

Wow. I had forgotten about the photobucket thing. Anyway, I brought it up to date- it is showing them in backward order so you don't have to look at the whole project if you don't want to. The little curly item at the top of the outer arch in the final photos is the damper handle- a cast iron lizard. Nose up, damper closed; nose east, damper open. Facing material is tumbled marble- noce, chiaro, and gold. Pictures by perks1018 - Photobucket
By the way, thanks for all the support. I got weepy and suicidal (almost) when I started second guessing the vault (after it was too late to really do anything about it). Glad now I didn't try. ;{)}
Old 07-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Serf

Final dimensions for the interested: 17.5" by 8.5" oven mouth, internal 31" deep by 28" wide, 17" height at peak. 43" by 43.5" outer oven dimension. Overall counter length 12' by 26" wide.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
I would stop right where you are and reconsider.
I couldn't, I didn't, and I'm done. I know advice in this forum is well-intended, but no disrespect, I'm glad I ignored some of it.

Last edited by perks1018; 07-07-2011 at 11:18 PM. Reason: forgot the picture
Old 07-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by perks1018 View Post
Glad now I didn't try.
We are too.

I hope you didnt get offended by any of my statements, its just that arches do fail without sideways thrust, its a fact, I dont make it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Serf

Not at all. Not offended, just completely freaked out! Anyway, all's well and all that stuff. Thanks!

Last edited by perks1018; 07-07-2011 at 11:24 PM. Reason: remove photo link
Old 07-08-2011, 07:16 AM
Apprentice

Looks great. I wish I had added counters to my project

Thanks for the update

Peter
Old 07-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

This is an arch from the virtually deserted fortified town Oppiede les Vieux, Provence, France. The arch is about 600 years old and everything around it has failed yet it stands strong because the stones are shaped to fit. I think your oven will outlast you and a few generations to boot.
Attached Thumbnails
My Modified Barrel Vault in Texas-pa300469.jpg  
Old 07-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

But isnt the old arch buttressed? Looks like it from here.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I don't recall what was on the other side of the vertical walls supporting it, I was just really amazed that the arch remained after so long and everything around it has failed.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Peasant

First, let me thank you for posting your pics; they are great (I particularly like your dog trying out the cooking surface!!). Second, I'm planning to start my barrel vault in August (still collecting supplies and waiting for grown kids who want to participate), so I've got a couple of questions. This one is for the moderators: This thread has been all about arches/vaults and possible collapse, but it looks to me like Perks tapered his bricks. Isn't that what arches are all about anyway? Now my question for Perks; I'm not sure how you did the tapering of each brick, so could you give me a little lesson (especially whether I need any special jigs/equipment etc.). Also, wouldn't it have been even more structurally sound to offset/ alternate the bricks in each vault ( or is this unnecessary)? Finally, does having the flue in the vault itself--as opposed to a separate chamber--have any negative issues associated with it (e.g. starting problems, heating issues/cold spots etc.)?

Tags
barrel vault texas