Old 06-29-2010, 07:56 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: My Low Dome Pizza Oven Project

Hi dhs, I'm also curious about your dimensions. I have what I consider a low dome oven and wondering what you consider "low dome". What is the oven inside diameter and dome height, if you don't mind me asking. BTW great steel work, that's on my next oven.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:43 AM
Peasant

Here are the dimensions I went with. (numbers are rounded)

43" diameter, 16" dome height, 10" door opening height.

Dome shape is probably better shown when I finish the dome from the interior but I would describe it as an even arch in the center (best I could eyeball, sand is supporting the dome) with a steeper transition area out near the walls.

thanks for the input guys
Old 06-30-2010, 03:44 AM
Peasant

btw - what about the dimensions of your low dome ovens? Similar? Being my first oven I am looking forward to finding out how it performs and have fingers crossed it will kick butt on pizza.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:48 AM
Laborer

Ok been out for a while. I like this style oven. Are there other examples here and how well are they cooking/venting?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:33 AM
Peasant

I can't speak to the performance but my dimensions are from observations of pics and videos of artisan made Naples pizza ovens. I feel I have the shape pretty close but there is a pretty big x factor of uknowns.

FWIW - The internal height to door height ratio is very close to the ideal .63 mentioned many times here. What I found interesting, and I don't know if anyone else has made this connection yet here, the height of the door and the soldier course height are very similar. That takes a lot of the mystery out of it for me.

PS - the door height being right near the soldier course height - From an ease of construction standpoint, this 'coincidence' makes a huge amount of sense.

Last edited by dhs; 06-30-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:04 AM
Journeyman

My oven is a little 30" low dome. It sounds like it is very similar in shape to yours just slimmed down. It performs great, will crank out 40 second pizzas at 1000F for as long as I want. I am a sheet metal worker by trade, so my oven has a huge vent transition that is very smooth. It gets all the smoke even on startup and draws like a champ.

You have many of the same ideas I do for low domes. Making the soldier course match the door height just seems to make sense. I am pretty sure that the naples ovens use a 3 centered arch that is modified to have a soldier course for their dome shape. They consider the shape a secret, but it is documented the height of the dome should roughly equal the diameter divided by 3.4 or h=d/3.4 . When laying out a three centered arch, the height is controlled by the width of the arch, ie the diameter. No matter what size I've found it always roughly equals h=d/3.4 .

Last edited by shuboyje; 06-30-2010 at 09:05 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-30-2010, 09:50 AM
Apprentice

The "secret" is the Fibonacci Sequence...the Golden Ratio.

Fibonacci number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Peasant

I did come across the h=d/3.4 but no matter how I sliced it that seemed too low for the diameter I was working with. How low is your dome? Has anyone built a dome that low for a home oven?

Grimaldi, I have schooling in the arts and know the golden ratio from that perspective. I don't know if I can see how it all but loosely applies to what we are talking about here (1.61). That said, I don't doubt what you are saying though. When something just looks right, it usually is adhering to the golden ratio. Many things about this project just seem right. I may be missing the obvious.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Peasant

The dome on my oven is 12.7" with the interior diameter being 43.5". The math on the h=d/3.4 is correct, it sounds like it would be to low but that is what it should be. I'm glad someone on here is building an oven like this, I haven't seen any on this site built how you are doing it. I think you can go lower. My buddy made his dome at 13.5" with a 42" interior diameter.

I saw the piece on you on the slice blog.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:38 PM
Journeyman

I agree, love the low domes. My oven has a 13" dome. Being it was only 30" my door is only 14 wide, so I figured anything lower then that would just make the door too tiny. I hope to eventually build a 48" oven in the form of a three centered arch, making it roughly 14".

As for the golden rule...I just don't see it. On top of the fact that the three centered arch matches the numbers given perfectly, it is also a common arch shape that masons building the early ovens would have known from vaults and openings. It makes sense that they simply formed a dome with this cross section.