Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 01:21 AM
Peasant

Red face Re: My latest precast oven, struck today

As far as i know fbuk dont manufacture anything. Not even for R & D. Should we stop making cars or boats because others do that better?
Old 04-29-2012, 01:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My latest precast oven, struck today

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
As far as i know fbuk dont manufacture anything. Not even for R & D. Should we stop making cars or boats because others do that better?
Certainly not. But I think FB UK import from FB USA and then resell them. It is just that this forum is run by FB. Yes it's a free market and I believe there should be more local manufacture. The truth is that trying to compete these days with $1 per hour labour from Chinese manufactured goods is really hard. This includes FB manufactured ovens that use American labour.

Last edited by david s; 04-29-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:14 AM
Peasant

I think James Bairey would be delighted. Its a passion for him that he wants others to share. Ever since he set this up he has offered encouragement to think we can do it too. Thats a big difference in attitude between entrepreneurs in California and here. Heck, he might even offer direct advice and support!
Old 01-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Apprentice

Well I have just lost my Job, Construction is tight over here, So I guess it's back to Oven building
Old 02-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Serf

I am planing on casting an oven also, so how much of castable refractory did you end up using for dome itself?
Old 02-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Apprentice

The dome used approx 400 kilos (880 lbs) of 1400 cast, Good luck
Old 09-02-2013, 03:12 PM
Serf

What did you use to divide the segment pieces? Also did you use an exterior mold or just pour to 3" over your current interior mold?
Old 09-03-2013, 02:15 AM
Peasant

FB and a raft of Italian and now British manufacturers are making segmented ovens, but that is for ease of manufacture in bulk. What would be your advantage?
I have built two brick ovens now, the first a traditional barrel oven, then this Tuscan round one. Both are so easy, just a week for an amateur bricklayer like me

1. castable oven materials is way more expensive than brick
2. Far more complex for a one-off. Do it brick by brick and correct as you go, instead of remoulding and start again, complex moulds that take ages but are not re-used
3. unless you have a vibrating table to compact the cement, its not possible to get strength unless you make it thick and heavy. Castable is not as strong nor as efficient as refectory brick
Old 09-03-2013, 02:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
FB and a raft of Italian and now British manufacturers are making segmented ovens, but that is for ease of manufacture in bulk. What would be your advantage?
I have built two brick ovens now, the first a traditional barrel oven, then this Tuscan round one. Both are so easy, just a week for an amateur bricklayer like me

1. castable oven materials is way more expensive than brick
2. Far more complex for a one-off. Do it brick by brick and correct as you go, instead of remoulding and start again, complex moulds that take ages but are not re-used
3. unless you have a vibrating table to compact the cement, its not possible to get strength unless you make it thick and heavy. Castable is not as strong nor as efficient as refectory brick
Apart from creating more easily manageable pieces there is an advantage in having a number of sections because large cast refractory pieces tend to be more susceptible to cracking. This is the main reason floor bricks are laid loose and in smaller pieces.

1. Yes, it is expensive stuff and because volume goes up cubed a small increase in diameter means a massive increase in material ($) So a cast oven is more suited to small ovens.
2. For a one off you do not need a complex mould. A sand castle covered in wet newspaper to cast against by troweling the castable on is extremely fast. Yes you will probably get some cracks, but the spherical form means it holds together ok and the cracks don't get bigger.
3.Using the method I described above and with careful placement of the castable and the addition of stainless steel needles, I believe that the castable is as strong and thermally conductive as firebrick.In fact in industry, here at least castable is being used increasingly as a replacement to firebrick.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:31 AM
Peasant

Good to know. I haven't tried castable, except to hang a cast hood smoke chamber to free up the stage from supporting the chimney and give me a clear platform. Yet I wonder why bother casting when it is easy to build with bricks?