Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Apprentice

Thumbs up Re: My latest precast oven, struck today

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwood View Post
Nice job Sono. That's a lot of work making the forms. What receipe did you use for the refractory....or is that proprietary? Looks like you have like you have thought of everything and the refractory looks solid.

Have you decided on the floor yet?
I purchased the refractory concrete 1400 spec, aS FOR THE FLOOR i WANTED TO USE FIRE BRICK BUT AS i STILL HAVE 250KGS of refractory concrete lef tover I am going to cast the floor into 8 segments, 6 triangles, one circle in the centre and a seperate slab for the porch so as to avoid heat leak from the main slab when the door is shut, Yeah it took a lot of sleepless nights, especially trying to figure out how to cast the perfect male female interlocking pieces but I awoke one morning with an eurika moment of clarity ant it was so easy and made so much sense, cheers and good luck
Old 07-04-2011, 07:22 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: My latest precast oven, struck today

awesome job!
Old 07-04-2011, 09:58 PM
Apprentice

Thank you, tomorrow I shall cast the final piece, The section of floor in the doorway (under the flue) I am keeping it seperate to help the fight against heat leak... Now searching for a trailer (can't decide on a trailer and Porsche or a truck?????decisions decisions)
Old 07-28-2011, 01:33 PM
Serf

How do you cut the sections, or are then created split?
Old 08-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Apprentice

I struck the oven from the forms and reassembled it on the bench, alough it was cast in one piece (Every joint was cast together) It seems very hard to get the segments to fit together in the same manner. Anyway here it is
Attached Thumbnails
My latest precast oven, struck today-50-capping-stone.jpg   My latest precast oven, struck today-floor-sections.jpg   My latest precast oven, struck today-door.jpg   My latest precast oven, struck today-full-oven.jpg   My latest precast oven, struck today-internal.jpg  

Old 08-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Apprentice

And the view from the rear. All concrete is 3" (75mm) thick
Attached Thumbnails
My latest precast oven, struck today-view-rear.jpg  
Old 08-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Someone else reported difficulty fitting the last piece with a different modular cast oven. This is probably because you need to account for the lost space created by the divisions in the mould.To do this you need to increase the division thickness slightly for the last top section, making it slightly smaller. Then all the sections will fit perfectly. Mine fits in as a conical form rather than using a step. This also helps in the fitment.I've been down this road and it takes time to get your mould working just right. Hope this helps, your dome looks like it fits together pretty well to me.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Apprentice

There was no lost space, Basically I formed the mold in total then divided it into the segments. I poured every other segment one day, removed the stop ends, waited 2 weeks to allow for any shrinkage and poured the remaining segments minus the capping stone. I poured the capping stone last (It is conical in shape). here is my oven before I seperated the segments
Attached Thumbnails
My latest precast oven, struck today-front-right.jpg  
chale likes this.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ok I see. In that case the sections should fit together exactly.
You do not have to wait for two weeks with calcium aluminate castable. It is a different chemical reaction than Portland cement concrete. You only need to cover it as soon as you've finished placing it, wait 24hrs, then remove it from the mould. Also there should be no shrinkage, providing you have added the required quanTity of water.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Apprentice

Well there was no hurry. I am still trying to figure out how to fit it to my trailer safely, Any ideas??