Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Brick Oven Photos (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/)
-   -   My attempt at WFO in CT (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/my-attempt-wfo-ct-16792.html)

ja1724 10-03-2011 08:33 AM

My attempt at WFO in CT

5 Attachment(s)
Ok so I've been trolling this forum for months now. I've also been researching and reading as much as I could about WFO's. I actually tried to hire 2 or 3 masons to build it for me but none ever returned phone calls. Go figure. I am quite handy. I build decks, patios, sheds, garages whatever but masonry (NO EXPERIENCE AT ALL!)

After viewing numerous pics on this forums, reading the FB build instructions and watching some youtube videos I decided to give it a shot. Many thanks go out to this forum and particularly ken4pizza's youtube video on dome construction. I decided to remodel my entire patio to include a new firepit, my existing meatsmoker, a brick oven, and side counters. Here's the progress pictures...

More coming soon...

Lburou 10-03-2011 06:00 PM

Re: My attempt at WFO in CT

That is a good start on a BIG project :)

There is enough help here on Fornobravo.com to boost you over those tough spots that will come up. Keep up the good work!

What insulation are you planning for the floor of the oven?

Ken524 10-03-2011 08:13 PM

Hi JA,

Welcome to the forum. Glad you found my video helpful! Like you, this was my very first masonry project. We really love our oven.

Keep posting the pics and good luck with your project. We are here to help.

Don't skimp on the insulation :)

ja1724 10-04-2011 09:06 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lburou (Post 121416)
That is a good start on a BIG project :)

There is enough help here on Fornobravo.com to boost you over those tough spots that will come up. Keep up the good work!

What insulation are you planning for the floor of the oven?

The hearth and floor are already complete. I followed the FB instructions and did a 3.5" remesh structural with a 4" vermiculite/portland insluting layer. Hopefully it is enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken524 (Post 121427)
Hi JA,

Welcome to the forum. Glad you found my video helpful! Like you, this was my very first masonry project. We really love our oven.

Keep posting the pics and good luck with your project. We are here to help.

Don't skimp on the insulation :)

I bought two rolls (50SF each) of 1" thick fiber blanket for the outside. I was going to coat over that with a 2" layer of vermicrete. Do you think this is enough? Also wont the weight of the vermicrete compress the insulation thereby rendering it less effective?

ja1724 10-04-2011 09:16 AM

5 Attachment(s)
5 more pics...

ja1724 10-04-2011 09:23 AM

3 Attachment(s)
He He He Fire !!! Gotta have plenty of wood when you're running a firepit, wood oven and a meatsmoker. Ok yes, I am insane. My wife tells me this regularly.

SHould I be concerned about filling in the voids 'grouting' the gaps on the inside of the dome. In my limited experience some areas come out messy (mostly near the top) and some spots between the bricks inverted v's could use some more heat stop. Or am I just being anal?

Ken524 10-04-2011 09:34 AM

Sounds like your insulation plan is great!
I wouldn't worry too much about the touch up work unless you want to do it for aesthetics. Once you insulate, you'll be in good shape.

jonlovepizza 10-05-2011 01:47 AM

hello ja.., now that is how a fire-pit is suppose to be lit . your doing a great job .keep up the work best of luck ., john

ja1724 07-06-2012 07:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, haven't been on the forum for a while but I have been busy. I am nearly finished with the entire project. Here are some progress pictures. More to follow...

ja1724 07-06-2012 07:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Even though I though I was curing the oven slowly, I guess it wasn't slow enough and I generated a fairly large crack. Dammit.