Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Serf

Default Re: My 42" Pompeii Oven build, Northeast Ohio

Thanks. will absorb all that great info and let you know if (when?) I have more questions!
Old 01-10-2014, 03:13 PM
Serf

I'm in NorthEsat Ohio as well and was wondering if you ever had moister during the winter months in the oven and how much you use the oven during extereme cold conditions. I have a concern about cracking the actual oven or decrative stone around it.

Joe
Old 01-13-2014, 10:04 AM
Apprentice

Hi Joe,
The only moisture that I really worry about is what could get in between the firebrick floor and the granite countertop.
The overhang does a good job of keeping the snow out, unless it's extremely windy, In which case I'll clean the snow out before a fire, or before the temps rise enough to melt.

I use the oven 1-2 times all throughout the winter and haven't had any issues for the 2 years I've been using it (knock-on-wood).
I took a good amount of care to ensure maximum insulation around the entire structure. My decorative stone really doesn't see much heat at all.

I would think a bigger concern would be if you didn't use it for a couple months, then had a hot fire.
I would think you might want to have a couple smaller fires, getting subsequently larger, almost like a mini-curing again.
But that's just my speculation.
Hope this helps.

TB

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:18 AM
Apprentice

Boylanta, Just a quick question. What is the distance from your flared outer edge to the center of your 42'' oven? Mine is 49'', seems like a reach to the center. Just asking someone who is cooking already. Thanks
Old 02-17-2014, 12:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

A deep entry makes the oven harder to work. I prefer a shallow entry for this reason, but if the entry is shallow, attention must be paid to design the flue gallery so the smoke can funnel to the flue pipe and the flue pipe needs to be of a good diameter (oversized) to prevent smoke escaping out the front.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:16 PM
Apprentice

Hi Campmaki,
Take a look at the attached .pdf.
My design was 31 7/8" from the exterior of the outer arch to the center of my 42" oven.
The oven landing (countertop) adds 12" to this.
I have no issues reaching any part of my oven w/ the FB cooking tools.
Are you counting your oven landing in your 49" measurement?

These dimensions came off my plans.
I'm cooking tomorrow, so I'll double check these measurements and get back to you.
Hope this helps.

Todd B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campmaki View Post
Boylanta, Just a quick question. What is the distance from your flared outer edge to the center of your 42'' oven? Mine is 49'', seems like a reach to the center. Just asking someone who is cooking already. Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 013 - Floor_template.pdf (37.0 KB, 46 views)

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:23 AM
Apprentice

Hi Campmaki,
I un-buried the oven from snow & checked the measurements.
From the center of my 42" oven to the exterior of the outer arch is 32", same as from my plans (31 7/8").
The oven landing (countertop) adds 12" to this, making the distance from the counter top edge to the center of the oven 44".

For me, this seems to be a great length for being able to reach the entire oven w/ the FB tools.
Hope this helps.

Todd B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylanta View Post
Hi Campmaki,
Take a look at the attached .pdf.
My design was 31 7/8" from the exterior of the outer arch to the center of my 42" oven.
The oven landing (countertop) adds 12" to this.
I have no issues reaching any part of my oven w/ the FB cooking tools.
Are you counting your oven landing in your 49" measurement?

These dimensions came off my plans.
I'm cooking tomorrow, so I'll double check these measurements and get back to you.
Hope this helps.

Todd B.

Link to my build -
Old 02-19-2014, 07:12 AM
Apprentice

Thanks for your help. You did not have to dig out just for me. We have been digging out here in Wisconsin quite a bit this winter. It is really getting old. My plan now is to pull the dome forward to access the cooking area a little easier. I can reach a little bit but if my wife is cooking that would be a different story, as she is shorter. I am already hearing about the height of the build, which is standard. I might just eliminate the landing area and build a separate work/prep area to the right of the oven. My thinking is you really do not want to be standing in front, only to put and take out the goodies. Also toying with the idea of a stepped in veneer design. With this design a person needs to be careful of horizontal masonry joints exposed to the weather. The flat steps would be precast stone panels. I also am using a air barrier/moisture (peel and stick) product with mortar net weeps to get any water out of the cavity between the backup block and brick veneer. Any dis-simmiular materials that ajoin each other would get backer rod and a eurathane sealant such as Tremco dymonic. What I want is a build that does not look so much like a little house. Other builds on this site are nice, but I want something different.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:42 AM
Apprentice

Campmaki,
No problem, I was cooking anyways.
So no big deal to dig out.

My only $.02 about eliminating the landing area...is that it's nice to pull terra cotta dishware & cast iron pans to the landing to let them cool a little bit before going to the work surface to my right, as you described.

Sounds like you have it well under control.
Good luck.

Todd B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campmaki View Post
Thanks for your help. You did not have to dig out just for me. We have been digging out here in Wisconsin quite a bit this winter. It is really getting old. My plan now is to pull the dome forward to access the cooking area a little easier. I can reach a little bit but if my wife is cooking that would be a different story, as she is shorter. I am already hearing about the height of the build, which is standard. I might just eliminate the landing area and build a separate work/prep area to the right of the oven. My thinking is you really do not want to be standing in front, only to put and take out the goodies. Also toying with the idea of a stepped in veneer design. With this design a person needs to be careful of horizontal masonry joints exposed to the weather. The flat steps would be precast stone panels. I also am using a air barrier/moisture (peel and stick) product with mortar net weeps to get any water out of the cavity between the backup block and brick veneer. Any dis-simmiular materials that ajoin each other would get backer rod and a eurathane sealant such as Tremco dymonic. What I want is a build that does not look so much like a little house. Other builds on this site are nice, but I want something different.

Link to my build -
Old 07-16-2014, 07:36 AM
Serf

You obviously know what your doing which is why I'm hoping you can help me out with mine. I have had my oven for two years now and have enjoyed it's function. It maintains good heat and I have had few problems with it until recently.

I'm in NorthEast Ohio and noticed that after the long cold winter I was getting some moisture in the dome. Once spring and summer came, the oven continued to function properly, however, last week, I noticed morter had fallen out of the mortor joints inside the dome. I had help with that part of the construction and my knowledge of brick laying is limited. I know the three piece dome is jointed to fit together and am wondering if I need morther in the joints, or is it ok with a gap that is around a 4th of an inch.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Joe