Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 06:46 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: My 42" Pompeii Oven build, Northeast Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Nicely done and great documentation of your build.
Thanks UtahBeehiver,
I like the beehive build.
It's really amazing how people are willing/able to share so much info through this forum that allows newbies like me to look like they know what they're doing.
Thanks again.

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: My 42" Pompeii Oven build, Northeast Ohio

Awesome build Todd, you did a great job of documenting it with the pictures. It will be appreciated by others who want to build one. I really like the materials and colors and that roof is beautiful.

Don't you just love that Tuscan Grill?

Thanks again for the great job and sharing it so well, Enjoy your oven (I'm sure you will ) -Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 06:56 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
Awesome build Todd, you did a great job of documenting it with the pictures. It will be appreciated by others who want to build one. I really like the materials and colors and that roof is beautiful.

Don't you just love that Tuscan Grill?

Thanks again for the great job and sharing it so well, Enjoy your oven (I'm sure you will ) -Dino
Thanks Dino,
I love the Tuscan Grill.
It's certainly true that you build it for the pizza, but the Tuscan Grill is really what justifies it.
We use it all the time.
I don't like ordering steaks out at restaurants anymore.
Thanks for the compliments.
I wish I could have posted the pics as I was in the middle of the build, but it does take quite a bit of time & I felt it would take away from my build.
I hope my documentation helps half as much as others in this forum helped me w/ their documentation.

I like your build.
I remember seeing your foundation & hearth design when I was just a forum lurker!!!

Link to my build -
Old 02-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Awesome project! Very nicely done! and I can't believe you did all that in one day !

Old 06-12-2013, 07:56 AM
Laborer

Hi Todd,
From your photos, it looks like you used a 24 inch duravent pipe. Is that correct? How does it draw, do you have any issues with smoke coming out of the entrance?
Thanks!

Link to my build:
Old 06-12-2013, 11:20 AM
Apprentice

jbruning,
You are correct.
I used a 24" long X 8" duravent double wall pipe to get me to the ridge vent.
You can see this in the attachment pics.
I ended up needing another 1' section to get the heat above the ridge vent & away from the copper (It was melting the solder from the copper joints)...so I ended up w/ 3' of pipe total.
It draws great.
I have zero smoke out the outer arch.
But I paid careful attention to maximize the area in the vent opening that feeds into the vent stack.
I think this is equally as important as the pipe size.
You need to keep the vent opening area as large as possible to allow it to draw.
I'll try to take a picture of this tonight and post it.

Todd B.
Attached Thumbnails
My 42" Pompeii Oven build, Northeast Ohio-153-steel-stud-walls-complete-ready   My 42" Pompeii Oven build, Northeast Ohio-155-roof-truss-installation.jpg   My 42" Pompeii Oven build, Northeast Ohio-165-plywood-roof-installed.jpg  

Link to my build -

Last edited by boylanta; 06-12-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Apprentice

Nice job on both the oven and the documentation.

The whole oven area looks fantastic. I particularly like how you went to the extra effort to have your counter tops at the same height as the oven floor. Most builders don't seem to do this but I think it looks and works better.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:33 PM
Apprentice

John,
See the attached pics of my vent area.
You can see how much soot is on the inside of the vent, but none on the outside. This is after a year.
I've never cleaned the outside of the outer arch.

The closeup shows how I tapered the vent area to make the opening as large as possible. All the discussions pointed to the large vent area being critical to the chimney drawing all of the smoke up the vent.
I can make some measurements of the opening if you want me to, let me know.
It seems to work well for my 42"
Attached Thumbnails
My 42" Pompeii Oven build, Northeast Ohio-img_3296.jpg   My 42" Pompeii Oven build, Northeast Ohio-img_3299.jpg   My 42" Pompeii Oven build, Northeast Ohio-img_3300.jpg  

Link to my build -

Last edited by boylanta; 06-12-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Sharkey,
I spent a lot of time getting the level right, as you noticed.
I wanted a continuous work surface from the floor.
This makes it nice to transfer food directly outside onto the counter top.
Tks again.

Link to my build -
Old 06-12-2013, 07:04 PM
Laborer

Thanks Todd!
That is very helpful. I really like the look of your oven as it is very well proportioned. Do you know off hand what your roof pitch is?

Nicely done!

Thanks again for the additional info and the pictures.

Link to my build: