Old 09-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Peasant

Default Re: My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA

Since my last post we made our first pizzas. It was a roaring success. The first two pics shows the fire on pizza night. The oven heated beautifully. The second pic shows the first pizza - a creation of my son. I have to say that our first pizzas were way better than we expected the first attempt to be.

Two days later the oven cooled enough and I finished the plaster coat over the dome. The last pics show the plaster coat and also the effectiveness of my installed light. I have to say that I am really happy that I installed the light - it is really awesome. I cannot imagine having to hold a flashlight when cooking pizzas - how would I then be able to hold my beer?
Attached Thumbnails
My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0621.jpg   My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0630.jpg   My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0638.jpg   My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0640.jpg  
Old 09-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The oven looks really great ... and the pizza lekker!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:00 AM
Peasant

I purchased a stainless steel pizza peel and decided to also try my hand at making one from solid cape blackwood (a beautiful wood indigenous to SA).

Here is a photo of my son holding one of two peels I made as well as the remaining piece of dried blackwood they were made from.
Attached Thumbnails
My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0642.jpg  
Old 09-16-2012, 07:12 AM
Peasant

Another one
Attached Thumbnails
My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0641.jpg  
Old 11-18-2012, 02:40 AM
Peasant

After some alterations to my braai room I finally put the finishing touches to my oven and covered the plaster coat with texture paint. Here are some pics of the finished product.

The oven is absolutely awsesome!! Thank you very much to everybody who contributed to this build by posting on this wonderful site.
Attached Thumbnails
My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0774.jpg   My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0773.jpg   My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0772.jpg  
Old 11-18-2012, 05:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Very nice looking peels. The blackwood has a lot of depth to it compared to the peels I have. Congrats on the completion of the oven.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:15 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outeniqua View Post
After some alterations to my braai room I finally put the finishing touches to my oven and covered the plaster coat with texture paint. Here are some pics of the finished product.

The oven is absolutely awsesome!! Thank you very much to everybody who contributed to this build by posting on this wonderful site.
Excellent !!!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:36 PM
Master Builder

Awesome, is all i can say. What a great place to hang out. I love it. Would you happen to have pictures of that light installed in place? Thats a great idea. What did you do to make sure it doesn't get affected by the heat from the oven. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:15 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-wiz View Post
Awesome, is all i can say. What a great place to hang out. I love it. Would you happen to have pictures of that light installed in place? Thats a great idea. What did you do to make sure it doesn't get affected by the heat from the oven. Thanks.

Hi V-Wiz.
Have a look at posts 12, 14 and 15 of this thread which shows the installation and where the brick sits in the outer arch. Post 21 shows the electrical wire that runs through the brick and then immediately over the ceramic fire blanket over the dome. I also wrapped the light fitting and wire in a layer of ceramic fire blanket and taped that with masking tape. This can be seen in some of the pics. I figured that because the brick sits in the outer arch and on the other side of my fire break this should do the trick - so far so good. I have to say that you really do not need the light when baking pizzas because the coals give more than enough light to see properly. You are more than welcome to contact me should you require more help.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:18 PM
Master Builder

Awesome thanks but what i mean was a picture installed in place under the arch