Old 08-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Peasant

Default Re: My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA

Rossco

What brings you to PE? Are you from this area? I actually grew up in the Eastern Cape. You are most welcome to visit us in the Garden route when next you visit SA. We can swop some stories over a lager or brandy.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Peasant

Here are some pics of the progress since my last post.

My arch transition is now complete and the dome is beginning to take shape.

The other photos shows the mini downlight that will be positioned in one of the outer arch bricks. For this I drilled holes into the brick, one of which had to be enlarged with the grinder so that the downlight would fit snugly. I wrapped the light fitting and electrical cord in some ceramic blanket and will also be installing a heat break between arches to minimize the possibility of damage from hot bricks. A box for the light switch will be fitted in the outer layer of the dome.
Attached Thumbnails
My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0507.jpg   My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0508.jpg   My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0511.jpg   My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0512.jpg   My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0513.jpg  

Old 08-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Peasant

Finished the last course and the keystone today - what a feeling to finish that dome! I used the IT all the way without any other forms - it really worked wonderfully well.

Here are some pics of the keystone going in, inside of the dome and the start on the outer arch. I installed a vermicrete heat break between the arches and also between the dome tiles and landing tiles. It is great to see that everything is now starting to take shape.
Attached Thumbnails
My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0536.jpg   My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0541.jpg   My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0542.jpg  
Old 08-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Peasant

Since my last post I finished the outer arch and then pulled the support over the weekend.

The second picture shows two bricks cut so that the stainless steel flue can fit snugly. This looks scew because I held the camera at a angle!

Will probably start with some curing fires next week. About the same time I will add 3" ceramic blanket insulation. This I will later cover with a layer of vermicrete - then final decorative outer layer and finish.

I also started working on a door - the inside will be stainless steel, then vermicrete and decorative blackwood finish for the back. Will also try to make a blackwood pizza peel. I will post some more pics later.
Attached Thumbnails
My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0568.jpg   My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0569.jpg  
Old 08-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Peasant

Stainless steel flue (still in plastic covering) installed. Had to bend the first section back 150mm so that it could miss an overhead beam where the pipe passes through my roof.
Attached Thumbnails
My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0570.jpg   My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0572.jpg  
Old 08-21-2012, 11:00 PM
Peasant

Wotavidone

It is a real pity that that is the only impression that many SA expats leave of South Africa. Like any country out there we certainly have our challenges. As far as I am concerned we live in one of the best places in the world. Our family certainly leads a happy and normal life.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:20 AM
Peasant

I built a door to keep in the heat once I start with the curing process. For this I riveted aluminium angles onto the plywood originally used as form for my inner arch. This was then filled with vermiculite and then bolted onto a stainless steel plate. I also screwed stainless steel handles onto the plywood. Started with the curing process and have to say that it seems that the door works very well.

Last pic shows the door in position and also the tiling finish around the oven.

Will start with the 3" blanket insulation next week. I have quite a bit of vermiculite - is it really necessary to add a layer of vermicrete over the blanket, or can the final plaster layer be done directly on the chicken wire? Any input will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0580.jpg   My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0582.jpg   My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0585.jpg  
Old 08-31-2012, 07:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sorry - just seen this post now....

My dad lives in PE. I grew up there and go and see my dad at least once a year. Thanks for the invite - may take a drive down to CT on the next trip and hopefully see your masterpiece along the way!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outeniqua View Post
Rossco

What brings you to PE? Are you from this area? I actually grew up in the Eastern Cape. You are most welcome to visit us in the Garden route when next you visit SA. We can swop some stories over a lager or brandy.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:52 AM
Peasant

Since my last post I covered the dome with 3" of ceramic blanket, chicken wire and about 1" of vermicrete to serve as base for the final finish.

Here are some pics showing the progress. In the one photo the light switch cover can be seen - I will finish around this properly with the final plaster layer.

Lastly the dome will then be covered in a decorative CreteStone layer with a terra cotta oxide. At last beginning to see the final product!
Attached Thumbnails
My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0589.jpg   My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0590.jpg   My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0595.jpg   My 36" build in Southern Cape, SA-dscn0598.jpg  
Old 09-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Serf

Looks great. My brother in-law has some very similar to this, great choice IMO.