Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: My 3-Legged Dome

Thanks turkey. Yes, the oven will have a central stack, the only difference being mine will be routed to the middle with a steep stove pipe before elbowing out the top.

George

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 06-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"mine will be routed to the middle with a steep stove pipe before elbowing out the top."

Curious as to why you are doing it that way.

Aesthetics ?

To get the stack back out of the way ?
Old 06-15-2010, 04:09 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil2 View Post
"mine will be routed to the middle with a steep stove pipe before elbowing out the top."

Curious as to why you are doing it that way.

Aesthetics ?

To get the stack back out of the way ?
The main reason for locating the stack a bit further back is to "hide" it from view from the street and the front of the house. As you enter the driveway most of the oven is tucked away in the nook except for the front of the oven which is visible. I did not want a tall smoke stack to become an eyesore as you entered into the driveway. The only part of the chimney you will see will be a short section at the very top and the cap.
A more ideal solution is to locate the stack way back in the corner of the nook, at the rear of the oven, but I did not like some of the drawings I did on that design.

George

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by fxpose; 06-20-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Master Builder

I did not get much work done this week as I'm waiting for the rest of my chimney components to arrive. I should get them today.

Yesterday I narrowed the outer entry width by 3" and did a little cosmetic touch up surrounding the entry.

George
Attached Thumbnails
My 3-Legged Dome-p1040631.jpg   My 3-Legged Dome-p1040635.jpg  

Old 06-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Master Builder

I did not want to waste any so I used up all of 50ft of 24" wide x 1" thick blanket....that's 100 sq/ft. I piled the remainder on top as you can see. The side walls have 3" of blanket and I think the top has about 6" worth.

George

Edit: BTW, the outside facing brick surfaces will be stuccoed as well. That's why I made them flush with the base.
Attached Thumbnails
My 3-Legged Dome-p1040637.jpg  

Last edited by fxpose; 06-20-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

It looks great, and I bet it will perform as well as it looks.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Master Builder

Thanks Tscarborough, I'm hoping it performs well.

I'm also hoping I can get in that tight spot to stucco the rear portion of the oven....It's pretty tight...

George
Attached Thumbnails
My 3-Legged Dome-p1040649.jpg   My 3-Legged Dome-p1040651.jpg  

Old 06-21-2010, 06:25 AM
Laborer

How did you do the "little cosmetic touch up"? Did you sand the bricks? They looks some smooth! I was thinking about sanding bricks a bit but I am worried about the silica dust, any solutions?

Old 06-21-2010, 06:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You should put something to break bond between the wall and the oven, plastic for example, then pull it out before the stucco sets fully.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by leckig View Post
How did you do the "little cosmetic touch up"? Did you sand the bricks? They looks some smooth! I was thinking about sanding bricks a bit but I am worried about the silica dust, any solutions?
I use an angle grinder with a diamond blade to make quick, rough shapes. But you need to be very careful doing this because it cuts and grinds through brick too easily. I also use masonry abrasive discs on the grinder to sand and shape brick. You get better control using the disc.
For finer touch ups I use a sanding belt from a belt sander cut to make one long strip and sand by hand. It's great for bull nosing brick corners. Using a power tool can take too much off if you're not careful.
You're gonna get brick dust no matter what you do. I put on a regular dust mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
You should put something to break bond between the wall and the oven, plastic for example, then pull it out before the stucco sets fully.
Good idea, I'll do that. I can basically get my hand back there and it's easy to apply stucco by the palm of your hand. As for the very back corner of the oven I can crawl underneath the hearth where I have good access.

George