Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 09:13 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: My 3-Legged Dome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffy View Post
Your oven looks to be up against an exterior wall of your house. Am I correct? How high will the chimney have to go to clear the roof?
Not as high as yours Raffy. I'm thinking about 12 feet max.

And thanks for the encouragement!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 05-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxpose View Post
Thanks all!

Hi, the outer opening will be rectangular as well, but will also follow the curvature of the hearth. But I'm not sure yet exactly how I'll 'form' this curvature.....most likely a combination of an angle iron and a flat iron/or rebars bent into shape and welded together. This will also serve as support for the vent.

George
I was thinking cutting triangular notches in strategic points on the angle iron. Bend the angle iron on those strategic points til you close the notches and weld them into place. I hope I'm describing it clearly if not I'll try to draw something up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxpose View Post
Not as high as yours Raffy. I'm thinking about 12 feet max.

And thanks for the encouragement!
The metal chimney is 14 feet so you are not too far off But including the brick chimney its just above 16 feet hehehe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
I was thinking cutting triangular notches in strategic points on the angle iron. Bend the angle iron on those strategic points til you close the notches and weld them into place.
Thanks Raffy, I envisioned doing that as well. I think it's the best method.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Master Builder

I started work on the vent landing area today. I used several insulating bricks to create a thermal break, then poured concrete up to the break. I did not build this up to floor level as I don't yet know what finish material to use for the landing. To keep uniformity, I might 'tile' the landing with sliced firebricks. Same goes for the inner facing vertical insulating bricks. I will use refractory cement to bond the firebricks.

George
Attached Thumbnails
My 3-Legged Dome-p1040543.jpg   My 3-Legged Dome-p1040544.jpg   My 3-Legged Dome-p1040548.jpg  

Old 05-28-2010, 07:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wow George, what coffee shop do you do all your thinking at? I need some of that java-caffeine for my brain!

Nicely done with that thermal break and concrete pour. Are you thinking of placing some sort of solid surface, flush with the landing? I guess with that thermal break you could do just about anything for a counter/front landing.

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 07:32 AM
Master Builder

Hi Dino, I do most of my thinking at a Starbucks in Hollywood, close to where I work. Although their coffee is marginal, they provide unlimited napkins there....

Yes, I will lay some kind of a surface flush and right up to the oven floor, but before I do that I'd like to build the area up so I can install a large vent on top.

George

Old 05-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Apprentice

I like the way the vent landing is turning out. I "tiled" my landing area with firebrick too but I regret using brick for the edge of the landing cause the corners of the brick are chipping due to abuse from the peels. The peels hit the corners especially when I use them for leverage in turning the pizzas.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
I "tiled" my landing area with firebrick too but I regret using brick for the edge of the landing cause the corners of the brick are chipping due to abuse from the peels. The peels hit the corners especially when I use them for leverage in turning the pizzas.
Thanks Raffy, and sorry to hear about the corners chipping. Maybe if I rounded or bullnosed the edges, that might prevent chips from happening. But on the other hand, since my entry is so shallow I won't have that problem with the peel hitting the corners.

George

Old 05-30-2010, 07:52 AM
Master Builder

No progress to report this holiday weekend due to work, except to remove the form off the front landing and do a little mortar touch up all over...

Peace,
George
Attached Thumbnails
My 3-Legged Dome-p1040552.jpg   My 3-Legged Dome-p1040558.jpg   My 3-Legged Dome-p1040561.jpg  

Last edited by fxpose; 06-01-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you want to continue the thermal break concept, you can leave a gap of about 1 inch or so between the hearth bricks and the landing area. I have this gap on mine (leading down to an ash drop) and it presents no problem at all for working the peel in and out. You would have to clean the gap of ashes from time to time.

I'm impressed with some of the "thinking outside the box" ideas that you have developed. It just goes to show how much individual creativity can go into adapting the basic concepts to suit individual sites.

Last edited by Neil2; 06-03-2010 at 08:12 AM.