Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2008, 08:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Mitch's Oven

Christo,
Bad beer = an open bottle someone spit their chew in the night before, and you grab that bottle by accident and have a swig

-
Old 01-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Journeyman

Oh I'm not sure! We took our inlaws to San Antonio once to visit that great place and one of our stops was the Lone Star brewery. After the tour obviously you get to taste their product. I'll confess, I'm a beer drinker and this was the first time I wouldn't finish one. It just seemed green (a techonolcal term - yeah right). that has been brought up many times in my 30 year marriage.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:30 PM
Serf

Some how I missed the emails for the last few comments.

gjbingham: Yeah I figured it would be woth the extra work so I dont end up with ash all over the place - especially with kids under your feet.

christo: I havnt mixed any cement to fill the holes I need to see what will fill the holes with a similar colour when set, I have little experience with concrete and was under the impression it doesnt stick to itself very well so thought I would get some 2 pot resin concrete filler, either that or leave it and call it a 'rustic' finish , If you have any hole filling pointers let me know.

james: You are too kind, I think the finish has turned out pretty well as I usually work on plastic parts and tooling which have to be very accurate so working with concrete and wood I tend to be overly anal about measurements - its very hard to change my ways. And thanks for the site its a wealth of info.

gjbingham and RCLake: Not to take your 'green beer' term literally but I prefer beer in brown bottles, my boss does not- so I suffer green beer in green bottles - its till beer just not as tasty.

And so I went to a wedding this weekend then the day after bbq and luckily Monday here in Auckland is a public holiday so I went fishing (in my Kayak) caught 2 snapper, came home and laid the layer of insulation, so a fairly full weekend.

Here is the result, its not quite flat, its hard stuff to make flat but nothing the sand/fire clay wont make up for.

Last edited by lobo_nz; 01-28-2008 at 11:47 PM. Reason: speling mistake
Old 01-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That snapper would be great, no awesome, baked inside a WFO.

-
Old 01-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Outstanding work so far!

Not to be critical or anything, but just curious...

Are your bricks going to touch the concrete (around the sides?)
Because if they do, that slab will suck heat out of your oven....
I'm not sure if you plan on having insulation around the sides, but you might think about...

Anyways, I just thought about it and didn't want you to have to heat up the whole slab.

Really neat idea though, and that polished concrete...... OUT OF THIS WORLD!

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Last edited by asudavew; 01-29-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Journeyman

every time I see your foundation I'm so impressed. You should make a twin of it and use it as a spa, kinda like bookends.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Serf

gjbingham: yeah one of the first things I intend cooking in the WFO when finished is some fresh snapper, maybe the first thing would be a snapper pizza - which I have made a few times already.

asudavew: no the bricks dont touch the concrete at all, I miss calculated a bit and there will not be as much space as I would have liked, about 50mm (~2inch) at the current dimensions, however I will be filing that space with ceramic blanket so shouldnt worry too much - I am looking at reducing the overall diameter by an inch to get a bit more space its currently 1100mm ID which is 43 and 1/2 inches. so going to 42inch would do any harm, I'll see what I can do in cad - its faster and cheaper than cutting real bricks.

RCLake: you are not the first to suggest making a spa, a guy at work thinks it would make a great alevated 'cuddle puddle' as he puts it, with a wood fire underneath to heat it.

---

I get an old drop saw from my brother in law this weekend so can start cutting bricks - If I get the blade etc, I have burnt up a bit more cash that expected so need to do some extra work.
Don't ask for a spreadsheet I havn't been keeping my reciepts, the price would probably shock anyone from overseas the bricks here in NZ are $5.00 each and theres 220 of them in the oven so $1100 worth of just firebricks around $2200 USD I guess.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo_nz View Post

asudavew: no the bricks dont touch the concrete at all, I miss calculated a bit and there will not be as much space as I would have liked, about 50mm (~2inch) at the current dimensions, however I will be filing that space with ceramic blanket so shouldnt worry too much - I am looking at reducing the overall diameter by an inch to get a bit more space its currently 1100mm ID which is 43 and 1/2 inches. so going to 42inch would do any harm, I'll see what I can do in cad - its faster and cheaper than cutting real bricks.

Good deal.
I saw your pics and just wanted to make sure.
It will be fun watching you build.
Keep up the great work.

Dave

snapper pizza...... not sure if I could go for that!!

My costs:

My pics:

Old 02-08-2008, 05:16 AM
Journeyman

Mitch,
Any new shots of progress?
Jim
Old 02-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo_nz;23294
[B
RCLake:[/B] you are not the first to suggest making a spa, a guy at work thinks it would make a great alevated 'cuddle puddle' as he puts it, with a wood fire underneath to heat it.
I can see this picture - two of you enjoying the cuddle puddle with a roaring fire underneath and cannibals standing behind you with their spears.