Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Brick Oven Photos (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/)
-   -   Missouri Modular oven build journal with pics (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/missouri-modular-oven-build-journal-pics-5460.html)

sslandry 11-02-2008 09:12 AM

Missouri Modular oven build journal with pics

2 Attachment(s)
This is the start of a journal of my oven build off my patio tucked on the side of my house. THe oven has wings coming off each side which will eventually be a bar/countertop of stone. The whole thing wraps around the radius of the patio and will be the focal point. It will also give a little privacy from the neighbors. Pics of the patio will come later once the mess is cleaned up. The oven should arrive soon. I will have lots of questions and invite your input and comments.

The brick work is being done by 2 brothers who live down the street - Allen and Dennis. They are journeyman brick layers and they are eager to do side work. They are really fast and got started right away. Nice guys too. The foundation was poured 1 week ago (96 bags of cement)and the stone work pictured was completed yesterday!!

We love to entertain and were introduced to the wood fired oven by a German friend in the Chicago area. He has great pizza and bread parties. We aspire to do the same 300 miles to the south. The guy in the Pic is Allen the brick layer. The ladies are my wife and 2 of my kids.

sslandry 11-02-2008 09:54 AM

Re: Missouri Modular oven build journal with pics

2 Attachment(s)
Now the shelf has been poured. I told you they work fast. I think the limiting factor for completion is going to be getting all the materials delivered. The 2 girls are my oldest girls and the dog is Fiona.

Jed 11-02-2008 10:03 AM

Sslandry,

Good looking project! The lay out should work great, and the guys doing the work are making great progress. Are you following the Pompeii plans from the Forno Bravo site? or are you working from another plan set.

What materials are you planning for the finishes?

The pictures are great, keep'm coming!

JED

sslandry 11-02-2008 05:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The wife and I came up with the plans, but I recently came across a pic of this oven so I guess we are not the first to come up with this design. Our design is almost identical, but with a flat roof and the wood storage unit will have a square door. Showed my sketches to Allen and Dennis and they indicated that it would be a piece of cake.

bbell 11-02-2008 09:53 PM

looks great!

Frances 11-03-2008 12:15 AM

Very nice! Lovely setting for it all, too - I wish our garden were half that size. Are you going to cover it all with stone like in that last picture?

From the pics it looks as if your weather is still a lot warmer than ours is....

sslandry 11-03-2008 05:53 AM

Ours will be covered in a similar style stone, but with a little more color. We have been warmer than usual, but it will turn cold real soon. I have a feeling it is going to be a long winter for everyone.

sslandry 11-24-2008 08:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Okay time for an update.

The guys have put in 2 1/2 more days work. The second rise is done and now the stone is being applied. Basically all that needs finishing is the asthetic stuff. I have already been using the oven and it is really fun. Once again - these guys(Dennis and Allen/ Al) do good work. They have been doing Masonry for a long time, but his is their first wood fired oven. They indicated that they hope it takes off and they can do some more. The stone Counter top and backsplash will arrive in 1-2 weeks. I will update with pics when the counter top and hearth get placed. I think it looks better than I envisioned soo far. That's really good because it is also costing more that I had thought.

I had a fire lit while they were building to help keep them warm. It helped,

Modthyrth 11-24-2008 09:37 PM

Gorgeous! Did you happen to watch how they did the roof? We've recently changed our minds and now plan to do an enclosure very like you have and are trying to figure out what material is used for roofs like that.

sslandry 11-25-2008 07:05 AM

They put about a dozen thick 3/4" rebar rods across the span of the open roof to hold up the concrete. They then cut the cinderblocks to look like flat stepping stones and placed them on top of the rebar rods and mortared any holes so the concrete would not drip into the cavity. after that they formed it up with 2X6's and poured the concrete one 5 gallon bucket at a time. They formed it thicker at the Chimney to divert water. They mentioned that you could probably have used corrugated steel instead of their method, but they already had the materials to do it heir way. Hope this helps.