Old 01-04-2009, 11:43 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Missouri Modular oven build journal with pics

Well it has been a while..............but finally time for an update. Work has been slowed by cold weather and the holidays, but the end is near. All that has to be done is some slate tile to the backsplash and cleanup. We have been experimenting with cooking for a month. Definitely a learning curve to this type of cooking. I welcome any good tips on getting the pizza from the counter to the oven floor without turning it into a mangled mess.

We had some family over for a pizza party last week(13 adults and 13 kids) who consumed a total of 23 pizzas! It was really fun and a very efficient way of serving a big crowd. Everyone had fun making their own pizzas.
Attached Thumbnails
Missouri Modular oven build journal with pics-finish0001.jpg   Missouri Modular oven build journal with pics-finish0003.jpg   Missouri Modular oven build journal with pics-finish0004.jpg   Missouri Modular oven build journal with pics-finish0005.jpg  
Old 01-05-2009, 07:32 AM
Master Builder

Looking good!!! Wood looks high and dry, too.

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Peasant

I have read extensively on the techniques of getting the pizza from the kitchen to the oven floor without turning it into a calzone. There several mistakes I had been guilty of. First, I did not brush the whole pizza with olive oil to act as a moisture barrier from the sauce. Second, was taking too long before sliding it into the oven which results in the flour absorbing water and turning to glue. Finally I will use rice flour next time as it is supposed slick like teflon.

My plan is to build the pie on the counter top or directly on the peel using rice flour. For big parties they will be prepared on the counter fast with rice flour then slide the flat aluminum peel under the pizza while lifting the front edge with my fingers and then right on to the oven floor. Finally if all else fails and it sticks you can blow under it to free it up. whoever plans on eating the pizza will do the blowing. My wife will not allow the aircompressor in the house!
Old 01-12-2009, 04:27 PM

The rice flour trick, which I use, is for building pizzas on the wooden peel. It's not infallible: you need to give it a little shake between ingredients. It seems that if you dress your pizza on a stone work surface next to the oven, and transfer it with the metal peel, that the bench flour is sufficient to keep it from sticking. I've not heard of the olive oil under the sauce: sounds messy and time consuming to me. The tradition is a swirl of olive oil on top before it goes in the oven.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I always put a bit of olive oil on the pizza base before the sauce. That's how I learnt to do it in school years and years ago, and the pizzas are great... so why fix something that works?

sslandry, if you try it that way next time, you can tell us what difference (if any) it even makes.

Lovely looking oven by the way. That's turned out reall really nice!