Old 09-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Michigan WFO

Thanks for the encouragement. I squeaked in a little work today. Half of the second course is in before I was chased away by rain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Peasant

Hi Mike, I too had some joints on the outer edges that seemed way to big, but I haven't had any problems with my oven. We have cooked 130 pizza's so far since the 4th of July, about 14 firings of the oven since the curing fires. As the dome starts rounding the curve to the top the outside needed lots of mortar too, sometimes an inch, but no cracks inside the dome, only some around the vent, but I think they are mostly between the vermiculite concrete and the outer layer of stucco. If you take a trip up north to see the fall colors in the next month you are more than welcome to stop by and check out my oven, maybe even have a pizza and a vino. I am planning on cooking all year, winter won't scare us!!! That's the story right now anyway. You are doing a great job from the pictures that you are posting, your oven will turn out fine. I have never done much of the masonary work, but everything is working great so far. Jim P.S. If you need vermiculite They have it at the new Menard's in Saginaw. I think it was less than $ 8.00 for the 4 cu. yrd. bag....
Old 09-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Serf

Heyyyy Michigan... Me too. I am just finishing up my oven. Didn't go down four feet though. I just posted a picture of where I am on my "Michigan" oven I wonder what it will be like baking a loaf of bread with snow in your ear? We're about to find out. Already getting chilly here in West Michigan. Maybe we could name it "frostbite bread"

Peter

Last edited by peter; 09-09-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Master Builder

Jim, Thanks for the invite! We just might take you up on that offer! I saw that vermiculite in Menard's. I was wondering if it was the right stuff, it seemed like a good price. I've been pretty happy with that place. I live within a mile, and it seems I'm there every day.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter View Post
Didn't go down four feet though.
I'm hoping the huge foundation was overkill. That just means my oven will last 500 years, while yours will only last 490

I saw your photo. It looks great. What an amazing location. Are those grapevines in the distance?

Old 09-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Master Builder

Third course completed today. Although it takes me all day to complete one course, it is quite enjoyable.

I think I'm going to have to tackle that entry arch. I've been procrastinating long enough. It's a little intimidating.
Attached Thumbnails
Michigan WFO-wfo-20139.jpg   Michigan WFO-wfo-20144.jpg  

Old 09-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Peasant

Those bricks almost look like they are tapered from the photo, but I'm sure they are just half bricks right? You must be building the 42" oven, that makes the joints a little tighter. My oven is about 35" inside, but I had gone in a different direction at the beginning, trying to build an Argentinian oven with no plans, different venting, not enough insulation, etc. etc. I had to back up and do some things over, some tearing out of the floor, add 4" of vermiculite concrete, re-lay the floor, shape of the dome template changed,some misery, some struggles, some days that I really wondered if I had accomplished anything, But thanks to some of the folks on this site that gently persuaded me to make changes that I didn't want to { by the way, they were always right! } I have ended up with an oven that my family and lots and lots of friends, neighbors and customers have enjoyed this summer. I stumbled into this forum after I was well underway, and folks like Frances, and George { what ever happened to George } and others helped me to correct what I had done and make it all work... You are way ahead of me with your knowledge of the WFO, you have been active in this forum for a long time, I joined after I had done a lot of my oven { and had to tear stuff apart }... You will end up with a great oven and never have to back up and re-do anything. And ditto to Peter, If you are in the area stop by for a look, a vino, a pizza, Best to all... Jim
Old 09-10-2008, 04:18 AM
Serf

Naw it's field corn. I rent the land to a local farmer. Yes we like it here a lot. I hope to do my fourth cure fire today. It is getting pretty exciting.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:25 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfiore View Post
I saw that vermiculite in Menard's. I was wondering if it was the right stuff, it seemed like a good price.
Mike, I got some vermiculite insulation from Menard's here in Wisconsin, 4 cu. ft. bags for about $9 each, I think, and I also am not sure if it's the right stuff. The composition is right, but the "grains" are quite small. So I think it will compact more, but I'm hoping it will work fine as loose-fill around my dome. I think most people use a product with a larger grain size. Once I get to that point, I'll let you know how it works!

Daren

Old 09-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Mike,
Your oven layout and brickwork look great. I'm getting my materials together to build my 42" oven stand, similar to yours. But I've got 2 questions:
1. Since you used FB board (like I will) is it just 1-2" board or layer under you oven floor and I have not seen a picture pulled back far enough to see if your FB board is just on the 4" concrete deck pour or did you ALSO put a 4" vermiculite-concrete insulating layer? My understanding is that if you use FB board, you can leave out the vermic-conc insulating layer (which I hope to omit too). Is that right?

2. Is it a trick of the eye or is your vent landing tapered to be wider at the front than the rear oven opening? It seems like a good idea to be able to poke a pizza peel around easier but the front arch seems like it could be more difficult to build.
Good luck!,
Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread