Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Brick Oven Photos (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/)
-   -   Michaels WFO build (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/michaels-wfo-build-6870.html)

Michael L Smith 05-27-2009 05:36 PM

Michaels WFO build

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone. I live in Rotorua New Zealand.

I plan on building a 40" Tuscan oven with side benches to mount marble slab for prep and insert a gas hop for stir frying etc.

Below is my framed and lined foundation.

A question I have, is it possible for one person to pour a concrete slab this size without any complications? e.g. concrete going off. I have a mixer.

Cheers, Michael.

Les 05-27-2009 06:22 PM

Re: Michaels WFO build

Michael,

That looks like a great start. It's a lot for one person to do all at once, but there is no reason you couldn't do it in stages. The finish quality is nill because you won't really see it. When I was doing my sidewalks using a mixer, I found that 3 batches was a pretty comfortable clip to pour, screed, and finish (around 24 square feet).

Les...

Michael L Smith 05-27-2009 10:22 PM

Thanks Les. Are you saying I should pour 3 wheelbarrows of concrete then smooth out before pouring more. Or do I pour the whole lot (10 + wheelbarrows) then smooth out.

Thanks.

Les 05-28-2009 07:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Michael,

I would but in some dividers (something like this) and pour it in sections. You did a great job with the steel so there will be no structural issues. Why kill yourself pouring the slab, save that for the dome. ;)

exceloven 05-29-2009 04:43 PM

Michael,
The weather will play a big part. If it isn't to hot you shouldn't have a problem. The mixer will help a lot. Just pour each section screed it off and you should be fine. The plastic you have underneath will also help it from going off to fast. As Les pointed out you really don't need a perfect finish for the base since it will all be covered. Have plenty of cold ones available and you'll be fine!

Mark

Michael L Smith 05-31-2009 11:28 PM

Well I've poured the foundation today. In the end I got a friend to come and help me. Looks good. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

I'm jumping way ahead here, but, one thing I'm worried about is coming up with a chimney solution here in New Zealand. I'm doing the traditional arched entry with about 4" wide by 12" long gap to fit manifold and chimney.
How do you manufacture a manifold/chimney for this "arched gap"?

glennb 06-01-2009 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael L Smith (Post 56673)
How do you manufacture a manifold/chimney for this "arched gap"?

Typically, people have used brick wedges to make a flat and square entry to the chimney, and you bolt on the chimney plate and cover it with insulation and render. Plenty of photos in the other build threads and in the Gallery.

Michael L Smith 06-01-2009 03:36 AM

Cheers Glenn.