Old 10-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Letís Roll! 40Ē Pompeii in Nanoose Bay

Thanks, dmun. I will pass along the kudos - he'll be pleased it was appreciated.

Karen
Old 10-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Very sound looking build so far. It must be nice to see the oven come together with the collective family help and the expert reporting and pics! BTW - What kind of mortar is Dave using?
Old 10-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Apprentice

Great looking dome. Can't wait to see how you finish it.

My slow journey to pizza.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:26 PM
Laborer

Thans, GF.
The mortar is 'monolithic refractory' called "Super 3000" by Vesuvius of Canada. Comes in black, 2.5 gallon buckets that you can probably see in a few of the photos.

Re: the oven floor; we used the large 'skagit' firebrick to minimise the seams on the oven floor. We figure the smoother the floor, the easier to keep clean, to slide pans and peels, less liable to buckle, etc. Well, Dave had an idea today which he has carried out; using his wet grinder/polisher and a diamond pad, he ground the oven floor a bit so that it is as smooth as a baby's backside! I remember that this technique tended to added a wee bit more imperviousness to our concrete countertops so should work out very well practically speaking. Proof, however, will be in the pudding (or pizza!).

WoodchuckDad; you wouldn't believe the number of designs we have 'discussed'! We did not have the exterior confirmed at all when we started. I saw a picture last week of an oven I really like, and have rarely seen, so hopefully, this design will be THE final choice. It may not be done, however, until next spring.

Karen
Old 10-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Journeyman

Peterlyn,
very nice looking dome. I am interested to see the outer arch and flue. Never seen the diving board landing you guys are doing. Good luck, hope you get to it before the weather turns snotty.
Eric
Old 10-25-2010, 10:35 AM
Laborer

eprante:
Thanks for the compliments. It does look like a diving board, doesn't it? However, once the floor under the arch and the finished landing are poured, it will blend in at the same level.
The outer arch will be made from precast concrete; the form is made and will be poured today. Of course, that's for the finished exterior so we've a way to go yet! Vent and dome work next.
Rain stopped play over the weekend and we may have to get a canopy out to continue this week.

Karen
Old 10-27-2010, 07:07 AM
Serf

Great looking oven. We would love to meet you - we built an oven in Calgary, and also have a house in Nanoose Bay - planning a build soon.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:54 AM
Laborer

Wow....I hope my dome looks half as professional as yours. Good job!
Old 10-31-2010, 07:02 PM
Laborer

pwcoppard, Meeting-up would be great. Let me know when you're next in town (we lived in Calgary for 5 years) and we'll get together.

dtrbovich, thanks for the kudos but Dave has been at it a loooong time! He says that dome was one of the most challenging masonry he's done, by the way, so hats off to the amateurs.

Anyway, I'm going to continue the commentary under the Pompeii Oven Construction section - it just makes more sense. The thread is here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...bay-14633.html (Pompeii in Nanoose Bay!)

Karen
Old 11-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Laborer

Pics of the high-heat mortar coat on the dome.

Karen

Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...bay-14633.html (Pompeii in Nanoose Bay!)
Attached Thumbnails
Letís Roll! 40Ē Pompeii in Nanoose Bay-100_1446.jpg   Letís Roll! 40Ē Pompeii in Nanoose Bay-100_1447.jpg