Old 09-06-2011, 07:28 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Jake's In Mass (Started July 3, 2011)

A litte more...
Attached Thumbnails
Jake's In Mass (Started July 3, 2011)-imag0047.jpg   Jake's In Mass (Started July 3, 2011)-imag0048.jpg   Jake's In Mass (Started July 3, 2011)-imag0049.jpg   Jake's In Mass (Started July 3, 2011)-imag0050.jpg  
Old 09-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Apprentice

Jake,
I'm jealous! You are making great progress. I did go dove hunting yesterday with my sons. Weathermen and weatherwomen promised several inches of rain, but guess what...we had the best weather overcast and cool (low 80s).
I really need to catch up to you! I want a pizza before the end of the month!
Jeff
Old 09-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Laborer

Jeff,
Feels like it is going slow, but I am at least now into the oven part. When I was trying to use the abrasive disc to cut the bricks I thought "This is going to suck". Once I started cutting with the diamond blade, soooo much easier. I cut 20 bricks in less than 30 mins. I'm not too sure about pizza by the end of the month, i am aiming for Thanksgiving. I get, maybe, one day a week to work on the oven, so it's slow going.
Keep chugging along and thing about dove pizza?
Old 09-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Laborer

OK, quick one tonight. I threw together a simple < $10 indispensable tool. It's not adjustable, but it works.

I used a $2 hinge a $3 piece of maple(straight and sturdy). A $1.50 angle joint and some screws. Does not show the angle in the picture, but it works.

Thoughts/comments?
Attached Thumbnails
Jake's In Mass (Started July 3, 2011)-imag0052.jpg  
Old 09-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Jake's In Mass (Started July 3, 2011)

I'd use that dome gage

Have you given thought to the transition from the dome to the entry?
One of the more challenging phases of the pompeii oven build is the transition from the oven dome to the arch opening for the oven landing.

GianniFocaccia, Karangi Dude & Sharkley, (and possibly others I haven't seen), have employed a simple and clean way to make the transition a lot easier. They have angled the cut on the dome side of their inner arch bricks. It makes the transition a LOT easier and probably more sound.

Karangi Dude's inner arch:

GianniFocaccia's inner arch:

Also in Sharkey's inner arch.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Laborer

Lee, thanks for the feedback. I had not given it a ton of thought. I figure I would research as I got there. Originally I was going to use angle iron and do a straight opening, but am thinking I will go with an arch now. I'll research what you suggest, seems to make sense.

What are your thoughts on going straight up with the opening and then cut 1/2 bricks to the correct depth going up until I am back to a full brick. Filling in the space with mortar.

Time to research more...

-Jake
Old 09-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatsrt View Post
Lee, thanks for the feedback. I had not given it a ton of thought. I figure I would research as I got there. Originally I was going to use angle iron and do a straight opening, but am thinking I will go with an arch now. I'll research what you suggest, seems to make sense.
Time to research more...

-Jake
I used this approach on the inner arch and found it quite logical you can check out what I have done based on the work of the others mentioned on my post "Chip's 42 in Minnesota"

The key for me in understanding this type of inner arch design was to understand that the slope of the cutoff for the top of the inner arch (the cut that will receive the dome bricks) is defined by the inner radius of the dome -- lower edge of brick, the outer radius of the dome - upper edge of brick, and the slope of the cut, as a vector from the center of the oven.

Chip
Old 09-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Laborer

So, I made more progress with my brother this weekend than I was expecting.

Some lessons learned this weekend.

1. I am not going to be prefect. Close enough is good for me.
2. Cleanliness on the back side is not needed. I originally thought it would look clean and perfect. Matt, my brother, pointed out, who cares, no one is going to see it.
3. Less cutting is better. I know I could use less mortar, have super clean joints and make each brick fit perfectly. I don't think in the end it really matters that much. If you really do the calculations because you want to optimize your brick mass, you gain, maybe 1-2 bricks in a course. Just not worth it. There is enough mass and refractory surface.

So, I attached a few pictures form yesterday afternoon before I decided to call it a day and watch some football. Next weekend will be tackling the opening and transition. I've studied countless pictures and ways to cut it. In the end I am going to KISS. So, we will see when we get there, if I think about it for more than 30 minutes I am making it too complicated.
Attached Thumbnails
Jake's In Mass (Started July 3, 2011)-imag0067.jpg   Jake's In Mass (Started July 3, 2011)-imag0068.jpg  
Old 09-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Laborer

Wow, point #3 is a convoluted run on sentence mess. Hope it makes sense though.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Jake's In Mass (Started July 3, 2011)

You are doing very well in terms of the bond between the chains, wish my oven had that much overlap

With regard to the entry shape, do what you are comfortable with.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.