Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 06:53 AM
Serf

Default Re: Homemade Brick WFO

The door and chimney with a bit of the dome top in view. Advise away....let the drying begin.
Attached Thumbnails
Homemade Brick WFO-image.jpg  
Old 04-05-2014, 02:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If it were mine I'd be making the entry a lot shallower to make the oven easier to work. You could also flare the front of it which will also help. The vent area can be the same if you make it rectangular rather than square ie wider but shallower.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:54 AM
Serf

Awesome, thanks David. I can adjust all of that easily. Not pictured here is also a custom chimney with opposing dragon heads!
Old 04-17-2014, 02:53 PM
Peasant

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the inside of this will look when finished. I assume you're planning on leaving the scalloping of the plugs of clay on the inside? If so- would that effect the heat distribution (spiky interior space vs. smooth curvature)?

Cheers!
-Si
Old 04-17-2014, 04:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Crazed Duck,

Both Dave S and I have pottery/ceramics backgrounds and have traded pictures of our work so let's see some of yours, ie the twin dragon heads. I been watching your progress and interested to see if you are going to do just a bisque fire or go to cone 6. I see your clay can go to cone 10 as well. Looks like your formed your brick right out of the pug mill. Like Gulf say, looking with interest on outside the box builds.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:14 AM
Serf

Gentlemen and Ladies,

I have not yet fired my "bricks". I have been drying them for quite a long time. I have encountered an interesting development. I have called Amaco concerning the "what temperature to fire to" question. The lady I talked to said technically none of the clay that they have has been tested for food safe as a bisque fired unglazed clay body. So I had a crazy thought....its the end of the school year....I have glaze that is left over and will go to waste over the summer anyway. Why not glaze fire the bricks???? Thoughts?
Old 06-06-2014, 07:25 AM
Serf

Here are the opposing dragon head chimney stacks!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Homemade Brick WFO-dragons.jpg  

Tags
homemade bricks