Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Brick Oven Photos (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/)
-   -   Harth construction, sunshine coast (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/harth-construction-sunshine-coast-19682.html)

Angus 07-23-2013 05:46 AM

Harth construction, sunshine coast

Hi,

I have just finished laying the besser blocks for the base of my oven. I am now at the stage of forming up the top slab / harth. Can i use normal concrete, or should I use a certain type of concrete to get better insulation?

Any advice would be great.

thickstrings 07-23-2013 09:28 AM

Re: Harth construction, sunshine coast

Normal concrete is NOT a insulator. It is for structure. You can put the vermicrete,perlcrete concrete on top of it,and then build your oven on top of that. Or use a insulating board to build on.

brickie in oz 07-23-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angus (Post 157797)
Can i use normal concrete, or should I use a certain type of concrete to get better insulation?

You need to follow someones build thread to see the sequence that things go in before you go any further by the sounds of it. :)

Angus 07-25-2013 05:25 AM

Good call.

Thanks lads

mrchipster 07-25-2013 06:18 AM

Take a look at the free FB oven plans.

Pompeii Oven Plans2.0

Angus 07-25-2013 05:49 PM

Thats a fantastic link - thanks heaps.

Out of interest, what is the preferred base insulation, the vermiculite mix or the FB?

Angus

mrchipster 07-25-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angus (Post 157936)
Thats a fantastic link - thanks heaps.

Out of interest, what is the preferred base insulation, the vermiculite mix or the FB?

Angus

FB ceramic board is a superior insulator and ther are other comercial brands of ceramic board but they are all more expensive than perlite concrete or vermiculite concrete Perlcrete- vermicrete et al...

People also use Foamglas under ceramic board. All work and have their advantages and disadvantages you will need to decide.

I used 2 .5 inches of vermicrete at 7-1 and then 2 inches of FB board on top of that and I wish I had used another 2 inches of vermicrete.

Everyone says insulate, insulate, insulate. But your oven is your own having its own character, types of food you cook and your personal access or lack of access to cheap, quality wood.

My oven stays at cooking temps for almost a week (slow smoked ribs at the end) and I wish it stayed hot longer...

Remember bottom to top ---- structural support, insulation, cooking floor, oven chamber, oven dome, insulation, waterproof covering - house or igloo, outside wind weather and Mother Nature.