Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 09:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Hansen Horno

Reveal at the top question.

Hey Darren, really nice oven! I've just re-read your entire thread and you've got loads of great info on it that will be really helpful.

I was looking at your pics on the 1/2" (or close to it) reveal you have on the side arches. You did not seem to carry that reveal along the top of the arch. Other peoples pics show the same thing: only a reveal on the side walls. Is this working out OK for you and others? Does it seal adequately? Or should I TRY to build a top-arch reveal too?
T
hanks, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 07:08 AM
Master Builder

Hi Dino,
Sorry for the delay. Yes, there is a "reveal" of sorts along the top too. So the door presses up against a reveal on both sides and along the whole arched top. However, the "reveal" at the top is really just the front side of the inner arch. So instead of it being only 1/2", it's the entire width of the inner arch (6" or so).

In other words, wherever you put your side reveals, the inner arch should grow from there and continue that "surface" for the door to rest against.

I hope that makes sense, and thanks for the compliments!

Daren

Old 01-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Daren, I've got plenty of time, I've just poured my foundation and am stacking 16" cmu so your answer timing is great.

But I've another question for you: It appears your walls between your 2 arches (the landing) are 1 9" brick long at a slight open angle. As you carried the 1 brick length up to the vent opening, you cut off half of it for your opening along the top then added transition pieces above (quite nicely) to the vent.

Did you transition to an 8" duravent? And how is that working? Is that half width brick opening along the top drawing the smoke out well? I'm thinking of making the landing 1-1/2 or 1-1/3 bricks deep for more square inches of flu-void but if your setup works well I might stay with that. Why make things harder if it's not needed.

Thanks, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Master Builder

Yes, it transitions to an 8" duravent. I basically followed Ken's method (see the "My Old Kentucky Dome" thread). Unfortunately, it does not draw as well as I'd like. My feeling is that the problem lies with the fact that the bottom edge of the outer arch is set about 1" higher than the bottom of the inner arch, so the smoke can escape out the front. If I had to do it over again, I'd set the outer arch lower than it is. But I bet your idea of a longer landing area would work too.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Serf

Daren,
I'm intrigued. Why did you lay block for the foundation wall? Why not forms, rebar, and a pour? John
Old 02-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Halder View Post
Why did you lay block for the foundation wall? Why not forms, rebar, and a pour? John
Just personal preference, I guess, and someone I trust suggested doing it that way. I had thought about pouring the walls, but I don't think I investigated it much. Building the wall was kinda fun, and gave me some good experience for the oven. Pouring it would undoubtedly be much stronger and easier.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Master Builder

Finally making some progress after a long winter. I framed up the walls and roof with metal studs and added Hardiebacker. The recessed blue box is for accesing my thermocouples. You can also see some Romex for (hopefully) recessed lights on the underside of the gable, pointing at the landing. (Does anyone know a source for recessed lights that would fit in that thin roof?)

As others have said, the metal studs are easy to work with. I was tempted to buy a reciprocating saw but did it all with hand shears instead.

The roof is about a 30-degree angle. In hindsight, I might have made it a little shallower so the 8' studs I used for the trusses would have reached a little further out on the side (i.e., larger soffits).

Daren
Attached Thumbnails
Hansen Horno-may09_5.jpg   Hansen Horno-may09_6.jpg   Hansen Horno-may09_8.jpg  

Old 05-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Master Builder

Daren,

Way to get back into it! Looks like great progress this weekend. The roof looks good, with a nice balance. I'm surprised it's 30 degrees. Looks steeper. I guess that just shows how the eyes can be deceiving. I like the idea of lighting. I'm looking forward to how it turns out for you.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Master Builder

Added Hardiebacker sheathing on the roof and decided on a square frame around the chimney. Also put a vent on the back, but I'm not sure if it's necessary.

I can't seal up the front and fill it with vermiculite until I get the landing done. The next step is adding a decorative arch, then raising the landing up by 2" or so, probably with concrete.

In the 4th picture you can see that I extended our stone patio up to the oven. Tried growing grass in front of it but all I grew was tired of the mud!

Daren
Attached Thumbnails
Hansen Horno-may09_1.jpg   Hansen Horno-may09_2.jpg   Hansen Horno-may09_3.jpg   Hansen Horno-may09_4.jpg   Hansen Horno-may09_7.jpg  

Old 05-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Master Builder

Thanks Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfiore View Post
I'm surprised it's 30 degrees. Looks steeper.
Okay, you caught me - it's actually 32 degrees. You have a good eye!