Old 11-30-2008, 01:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Glenn's WFO

The floor does look very nice with the bricks on their sides... thought it would .

Make sure you do tell us how it works out - I'll be watching with great interest!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:30 AM
Apprentice

I do really like the look of the floor with the bricks on their sides I am not sure I could stand the additional time and fuel needed to heat the extra mass though. I am wondering if anybody has split brick lengthwise to get the same look with just slightly less mass than bricks laying flat?

It's looking good Glenn!

Travis
Old 12-03-2008, 02:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by staestc View Post
I am wondering if anybody has split brick lengthwise to get the same look with just slightly less mass than bricks laying flat?
Hey, or you could cut them into different shapes and do a kind of mosaic pattern on the floor....!

Old 12-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can still do a herringbone pattern with the bricks flat...
See my build...
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html (Drake's 38" Oven)
Old 12-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Laborer

The problem with cutting them is you might not end up with nice straight edges which will result in slightly larger gaps between bricks.

I know herringbone can be done with bricks flat, but I just think it looks better with bricks on edge IMHO.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennb View Post

I know herringbone can be done with bricks flat, but I just think it looks better with bricks on edge IMHO.
It does look good. The down side (other than the heat time) is that there are more edges to catch with the peel.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
It does look good. The down side (other than the heat time) is that there are more edges to catch with the peel.

Les...
aahh, yes, but that's the pizza makers problem, not the bricks problem
Will have to finesse my peel skills.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Serf

Hi Glenn,

I am in Adelaide and still am very much in the planning and material aqusition stage of building my WFO. Could you tell me where in Melbourne you sourced your firebricks from. The cheapest I can find them in Adelaide is $6 each. (Your bricks look great and at $3.50 each are a lot more cost effective!!) I have a truckie mate who does the Melbourne to Adelaide run all the time and I am sure that he would be able to bring them back for me.

Cheers,

Tim
Old 01-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Laborer

Time for an update in case you all think i've been sitting around doing nothing on my holidays!

First photo is of floor and soldier course (half brick) all laid out. I forgot to pull the camera out for the completed soldier course, but i ended up cutting every second brick on both sides to get my curve.

Second photo jumps ahead as i've done the second course and got my very first arch in place! I was pretty excited to get that completed and actually staying up. I used a form to get the bricks in place, but as soon as i put the top brick in, i took the form out as i wanted it to be completely self supporting.

Third photo shows where the mortar cracked and moved a fraction when i was knocking the keystone brick in, but at that point, all the load is downwards so it didn't move any more. Also, as soon as i completed the next course of bricks, it would tie everything together, so i wasn't too worried.

Progress was slowish after that as it was taking me longer than a day to get a single course cut and set.

I was also mixing up my construction methods by swapping between cutting all 3 sides of the bricks, or using shims to tilt the bricks up.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Laborer

Photos didn't work in the first post

If the mods want to move this to the construction forum, go ahead, or let me know and i'll start again in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Glenn's WFO-dsc_0082.jpg   Glenn's WFO-dsc_0120.jpg   Glenn's WFO-dsc_0123.jpg   Glenn's WFO-dsc_0129.jpg   Glenn's WFO-dsc_0252.jpg