Old 02-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Giardino 70 in San Diego - round stand

For lifting, moving and controlling heavy objects, see if any of your friends / relatives have an engine hoist.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Journeyman

Very nice work on the stand. I am in East County, and am building a 42" Pompeii. Good luck on the build.
Eric
Old 02-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil2 View Post
For lifting, moving and controlling heavy objects, see if any of your friends / relatives have an engine hoist.
I tried James' suggestion this morning and using the 2"x4" from the crate and 4 bricks, I was able to wedge the 2x4 between the dome and the insulation board and set them on the bricks. This allowed me to slide the insulation boards out. So everything is ready to go. The dome is not as heavy as I thought initially and 4 people should be able to move it without problem. The most challenging aspect of this project for me was building the stand and now the fun part should begins. Tomorrow maybe if the sun stays out...

Giardino 70 in San Diego - round stand-img_1123.jpg
Old 02-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Serf

Talking Re: Giardino 70 in San Diego - round stand

Progress! The sun came out this morning and I was able to install the insulation board and lay the cooking floor on a bed of sand. You can see in the picture that I miscalculated slightly the minimum size of the stand and that the insulation board is sticking out in front. Not sure what to do about it. Oh well...

Giardino 70 in San Diego - round stand-img_1127.jpg

I placed the 2 remaining front tiles on a bed of refractory mortar. Then, with help from my neighbors, we moved the dome onto the brick stand. This freed space in the garage, which made my wife happy.

Giardino 70 in San Diego - round stand-img_1131.jpg

The mortar was added before lowering the dome in place.

Giardino 70 in San Diego - round stand-img_1133.jpg

Next week, time to place the insulation blankets and maybe begin a layer of stucco. Almost there!
Old 02-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Journeyman

Nice stand Allo. The precast looks like a nice way to go. You are a lot closer to pizza than I am. Good luck
Eric
Old 03-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Serf

No rain this week-end! I was able to attach the chimney using the supplied refractory mortar:

Giardino 70 in San Diego - round stand-img_1192.jpg

placed the first layer of insulating blanket. The blanket is fairly easy to cut and shape, although it takes a little bit of adjustment because of the dome shape and the width of the material:

Giardino 70 in San Diego - round stand-img_1193.jpg

We passed inspection

Giardino 70 in San Diego - round stand-img_1194.jpg

And had time to place the stucco lathe on the 3 layers. I ended up using chicken wire for the dome and a honeycomb structure for the front. Tomorrow, stucco!

Giardino 70 in San Diego - round stand-img_1198.jpg
Old 03-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Serf

The stucco is in, first coat anyway. I used the mix sold at the local Home Depot that allows for 2 coats on the same day (did not have time to take advantage of that). I ended up using my hands to apply the stucco on the dome and push it through the wire lath, that seem to work better that the trowel. It had several days to dry and several long (> 2") cracks have developed. Should I be worried about these?

Is there anything special I need to mix to the second "color" coat to make it water proof? Or is stucco sufficiently water resistant?

I am starting to think about the curing process. Regarding the door, the instructions state:

Quote:
DO NOT close the oven door fully while a fire is in the oven
Closing the door fully will cut off oxygen to the fire, causing
the fire to erupt suddenly when the door is removed.
Always keep door tilted to allow air to circulate in the oven.
Does that mean the door should be left out during firing? In which case, is there something similar to a fireplace screen that could be used to prevent sparks from escaping while allowing oxygen in? Or should it be in place but at an angle? Thanks
Old 03-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

This is a phrase that Intertek makes us add to the installation guide -- though it really is not a problem. You fire the oven and make pizza and other fire-in-the-oven cooking with the door removed, and sparks are not an issue. If you ever need to cut off the fire, you can use the door to control the air supply.

Nothing to worry about.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:34 PM
Serf

So is it fair to assume the door is mainly for protecting against the elements and maybe to keep the oven warm until the next day when it can be used for baking bread or cooking?

Sounds like we will be starting the curing process this week-end. What is the best source for dry wood?

Here is a picture of the oven with the scratch coat of stucco.

Giardino 70 in San Diego - round stand-img_1243.jpg
Old 03-29-2010, 07:35 AM
Serf

The color coat of stucco went in this week-end. Spraying the stucco with water for several hours to keep it wet seems to have prevented the cracks that formed in the first coat. I had time to start the first curing newspaper fire.
Pizza ETA: 2 weeks

Giardino 70 in San Diego - round stand-dsc02594.jpg