Old 09-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Serf

Default Re: getting started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
I can't wait to see the deck with it. This is a really cool project.

We often have people post questions about putting pizza ovens on decks. The answer is always "no", they are too heavy - we recommend a tall block stand next to the deck. As far as I know, you are the first to actually do this.

Keep up the great work and keep the pics coming!!
Tony's oven looks great, hread and shoulders ahead of me. I also built my iven to deck height (New Oven in Connecticut) thread.

JQ
Old 09-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Peasant

had to take a little break on the project. made our first pizza's last weekend and had alot of fun with the oven. i am amazed at how hot this thing gets. it was still reading over 100 degrees 2 days later.

this saturday we are going to do a few more pizza's with a few friend and try a some bread.

i hope to have some good pics of the oven with the deck finished and the firepit/grill very soon.

if anyone wants to see the work in progress look me up on facebook. i have an album with pics from the first day we dig the footers until last saturday's pizza's

l8r,

tony
Old 09-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Master Builder

Great looking oven, Tony!

I'm in the middle of demolishing a huge hillside deck and rebuilding. I must also build up quite a bit to reach deck level.
Anxiously waiting to see your finished decking as well.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:18 AM
Peasant

well, had hoped to have everything finished up today but it is pouring. had to put things on hold.

we did fire up the oven last night for a few pies. i have done so 4-5 times thus far (after the curing period of course). i am noticing several cracks in the oven dome and on the exterior brick work. once the oven cools the brick settles down and the crack is hard to recognize. i thought we did a pretty good job insulating everything as well as possible. I'm not realy sure if i should be concerned or not? i am afraid of what the winter will do.

any input?
Old 09-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I'm not realy sure if i should be concerned or not?
Hey tony,,,
Unless they are monterous cracks,, I wouldnt let them concern you, The weight and construction method of the dome will basically hold itself together, The other cracks sound like they are minimal and often to be expected.. If you are concerned about the winter you can throw a tarp over it when not being used.. Can you take pics of the cracks and post them.. It may be possible your oven is still curing too..
Mark
Old 09-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Peasant

nothong monsterous. just hairline cracks that i noticed. I guess i am just alittle upset that there are cracks. especially the outside veneer. i will try to get some pics and post them up. it has been raining all day and now to dark to get in there. i am just hoping that the insulated concrete didn't crack as well.

either way, the pizza is great!
Old 09-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tony,,
Its kinda like buying a new car,, you know that first scratch is coming,,,,,

Like you said, pizza still tastes great and oven will work just fine,,

Dont worry it wont be visible after a few cocktails.

Mark
Old 09-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Peasant

i here ya. i am a bit of a worry wart. i just want this to be something that we have for a long time.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Peasant

here are some pics of the close to final product. finally installed the hearth stone but need to get a final pic. i also bricked 2 piers under the deck. i will get some pics a bit further away to see the entire project.
Attached Thumbnails
getting started!-pizza-oven-pics-003.jpg   getting started!-pizza-oven-pics-004.jpg  
Old 12-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Peasant

few more pics of some pizza and my dad and me haveing a good time cooking.
Attached Thumbnails
getting started!-000_0277.jpg   getting started!-000_0279.jpg   getting started!-000_0275.jpg   getting started!-000_0276.jpg