Old 08-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: First Fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT62 View Post
Sort of. I wanted the upper arch to "stick out" slightly from the columns. Just an aesthetic thing. It leaves a small channel that I am hoping will be like little smoke catchers and funnel it into the vent.
Excellent idea. Again, it looks great. Thanks!

Ken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Apprentice

Default Second Fire

Started a second fire in the oven this morning, and will do another tonight. I am using the "Ernie Banks" method of oven curing (lets play two!)

Until my insulation arrives, I'll keep them down to a dull roar. Although the top of the dome did get warm on the outside this morning. I could still hold my hand on it, but the heat from the fire was definitely coming through!

Forno Tito-dsc00748.jpg
Old 09-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Apprentice

Unhappy Forno Tito Disaster!!!

OK, maybe not quite a disaster, but a bit of a setback.

On Thursday morning, I went outside to check on the oven and wipe some soot off the face of the front arch that had gotten there from the fires. When I wiped I noticed that the entire center of the arch moved (the middle 5 bricks). Bummer!!!!

I toyed with simply re-mortaring them in as one piece, but decided to take them apart and rebuild it. When I chiseled my mortar off I noted that the centers of the mortar "pancakes" were still dark from moisture - not nearly fully cured. Lesson learned: let ALL the mortar (not just the dome) set up for a good week before firing up.

In addition, I thought I cheated on the mortar joints a bit and left them too wide, so perhaps there was too much shear stress on them? In any case, I decided to change the arch a bit and create more of a keystone in the middle by turning a brick on it's flat side and tapering the edges. Now the arch is as tight as the oven entry arch and (I hope) much more stable.

Forno Tito-dsc00766.jpg The culprit. Too much, too soon.

Forno Tito-dsc00774.jpg The soot in the low vent is quite visible here.

Forno Tito-dsc00776.jpg You can see the middle of the mortar is still dark.

Forno Tito-dsc00777.jpg The new arch! I think I actually like the look of this quite a bit better than the old one, so I will call this crisis an opportunity!

-- Yogi Berra

Old 09-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Forno Tito

looking good!

Note to self.... be patient.........

It must be hard!

My costs:

My pics:

Old 10-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Apprentice

Looks great, Joe. I give you so much credit for doing that yourself. I hope I have the courage to do it someday.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer
Old 01-19-2009, 08:20 AM
Apprentice

I realized it's been awhile since I updated this thread. I am (nearly) done with the project, and the oven has been performing beautifully.

The first two pictures show the enclosure with Hardibacker board screwed onto metal studs. The next shows the stucco and brickwork done.

The last shot shows a pizza with prosciutto and ramps.

I am still organizing photos, so I will have to find a later one showing the roof shingles in place and the concrete slab stained. When the weather improves, I will be making a concrete countertop.
Attached Thumbnails
Forno Tito-dsc00854.jpg   Forno Tito-dsc00938.jpg   Forno Tito-dsc00936.jpg   Forno Tito-dsc00933.jpg  

-- Yogi Berra