Old 07-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Forno Tito

Quote:
Originally Posted by swripley View Post
Looks great Joe! Are you going without a form?

S
Well....so far!

I've got some styrofoam cut up and for these first courses found it easier to use a 1/4 circle piece of it as a guide that I swung around as I worked. I plan on constructing the full form soon (halfway through the 4th course, but I think the 5th will be tempting gravity a bit too much).
Old 07-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Laborer

I used a full brick for my soldier course. Through 6 courses I was thinking I didn't really need the form. By the time I hit 7 I was greatful to have it. I can see how you could go without one entirely, but you would have to work a lot faster than I do.

S
Old 07-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Apprentice

Default Fourth course

I got the fourth course done last night and cleaned up some of the mortar drips this morning. So far, so good!

Forno Tito-4thcourse1.jpg

Forno Tito-4thcourse2.jpg

Forno Tito-4thfloor-wall.jpg
Old 07-10-2007, 11:41 AM
Journeyman

Thumbs up Re: Forno Tito

Looking good, nice work. Watch your head joints (vertical joints) though I see a lot of them lining up with each other. The joints are the weakest link in masonry, having them line up is like an on open door for the crack monster who will eventually visit the oven. If you keep them staggered its much stronger. I'm not saying tear it down but keep this in mind as you continue.

I don't know how much the cladding helps "hold" things together Id be interested in those that have built the oven and didn't stager the joints (in places) how its holding up. Please comment if you can.

Listen, I'm a pro and I know its hard to remember all the "rules" and lay the darn bricks Hey this is oven dome build is a difficult project for a first time mason and it has its own set of complex issues. So anyone reading this please don't take offense. I have said it before and will again the ovens you guys have built on this site are very impressive and the work very nice . Its no lie, there are a lot of guys out here doing masonry for a living who's work is...lets put it this way you wouldn't want it in your backyard. Ill post some pics..I just don't know where would be the appropriate area? Ill figure it out it will be a major ego boost for those doubting your skills...

Here is a pic of the side of a community mailbox for a gated neighborhood in my town..thats a 4' level and they were are out of plumb almost an 1" with 2' to go
Attached Thumbnails
Forno Tito-100_0056resized.jpg  
Old 07-10-2007, 12:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think it is looking great. I cut some bricks down to avoid those vertical joints as I went around. I think that is good advice from Uno.

Uno, It is nice to have a professional on the forum. Thanks for your contributions...

Drake
Old 07-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unofornaio View Post
So anyone reading this please don't take offense.
Uno -

No offense taken at all. I appreciate any and all advice. I too noticed the dreaded "line-ups" when I went to do some clean up this morning, and resolved to be more careful with the alignment. Please keep the advice coming!

Joe
Old 07-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Master Builder

You might try doing a dry course run before you add the mortar. This way you can see how the ring will look once it is cemented in. Quite a few of the builders have used keystones to help in offsetting the courses. That means that each ring may have one or two bricks that have been shaved. If you don't want your keystone to be seen (as it will be smaller than allt he others you can out it close to the opening.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:11 AM
Apprentice

looking good...thanks for posting.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Apprentice

Default More Progress

Made a bit more progress this weekend. I put down the 5th & 6th courses and worked on the entry arch. I was originally going to go with angle iron, but ambition (and the fine work of others on this forum) inspired me to go for the arch. My current struggle (and an all too familiar one it seems) is getting the arch tied into the dome. I see my way, but it will be a lot of cuts!

Forno Tito-dsc00683.jpg

Forno Tito-dsc00685.jpg

Forno Tito-dsc00687.jpg
Old 07-19-2007, 07:42 PM
Apprentice

Default Courses 7 & 8

Been busy at work, so I have not made as much progress as i would like. I've been able to get courses 7 & 8 up. Picked up my fourth bag of Heat Stop today, but further brickwork must wait - I'm going on a dive trip tomorrow!

Anyway, the top of the dome (I'm measuring 4 more courses) is now in sight.

Forno Tito-dsc00694_1.jpg

Forno Tito-dsc00698.jpg hopefully better at staggering those head joints (harder to do than it seems with tapers)