Old 08-14-2009, 06:23 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Forno Montagna

Thanks Dino and Mark! A few more questions... I have a ten inch HF saw. What's the best blade type? Also, to create the fireclay, I see that many have cut the dome bricks and collected the slurry. Are the first courses after the soldiers 1/2 bricks? Should I cut them exactly in half? Say 50 bricks to get enough clay for the floor? Also, should I use HeatStop for the mortar of the soldiers and subsequent courses? Sorry for so many questions... really want to get started this weekend.
Thank you!
Old 08-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Apprentice

Wow! How beautiful it already is! I'm a bit envious, I must say!
I love the curve of the landing and how the whole thing is built into the hill.
I love your whole yard!
cecelia
Old 08-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Serf

Schallert,

How far out is the curve of your concrete slab?

JQ
Old 08-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Dan,
Yes, your 1st and 2nd row (at least) will be the bricks cut exactly in half. I'm pretty sure my first 3 courses where also cut in half before I went to 3rds. Cutting those in half should give you enough fire clay for setting the floor. The brick "muck" from cutting is GREAT for setting the herringbone floor. I would cut the herringbone floor and cut about 22 bricks in half for the 1st row and I bet you'll have enough fire clay in the water for setting the floor.
Have a good weekend, hope lots of progress happens! -Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 05:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Mitch,
Welcome and good luck. I bought the HF chop saw and got the segmented diamond blade( i was looking for the number and couldnt find it), I also bought the HF brick and block cutter. My intention was to use the chop saw for most all the dome cutting. I kept my bricks in a water bucket and replaced them as I cut them, Really helps keep the mess down.

I ended up using the brick and block cutter for almost all the cutting, That little tool was great and would cut the bricks neatly in half. It's 19.99 and part # 96319

Hope all goes well with your build. Be patient and enjoy the experience.

Mark

Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:25 AM
Laborer

Cecil, thank you, thank you, thank you. We are very pleased and excited for the next stages.

JQ, - 7.5 inches

Thanks for the cutter advice.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:26 AM
Laborer

Dino,

I am rethinking my entry... I think a parallel enrty would be easier than the tapered. IT t hurts my head to think how I will have to match angles when I start the arches. What's the benefit to the tapered entry?

Dan
Old 08-15-2009, 07:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I really like the price of the HF diamond blade especially with their coupons they email. BUT I've got an OSH a few blocks away and after I needed a new blade asap, I bought their $45 Norton brand diamond, and it lasts twice as long. So anytime I got a coupon from them I always picked up that blade. Went thru 4 of them on my oven build. Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 07:33 AM
Laborer

Mark,

I must admit, I do not understand how that tool works? Like a tile cutter? Score and strike? I would think the break would be "unperfect".
Old 08-15-2009, 07:36 AM
Laborer

4 BLADES!!! OUCH. Hard to get excited about the extra costs when the process and results make me so satisfied and proud.