Old 07-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Forno Montagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrparks View Post
The Forno Montagna project looks fantastic. I look forward to to following you progress.
Cheers,
John
+1... ...Absolutely fantastic!

To the OP:
I have a similarly sloping back yard which is in planning stages of terracing one section and I can't decide what material to use as retaining wall. I was thinking either railroad ties or cement landscaping blocks.
What type of timber did you use? The finish is very clean.

Thank you!
Old 07-25-2009, 07:36 AM
Laborer

Thank you!
6x6 green-treated landscape timbers, inexpensive and very easy to work with.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:18 AM
Laborer

Forno Friends, I am preparing for the dome phase. Can anyone help with info on how to determine quantity of bricks I need? I plan on a 36 inch interior. Also, how many insulation boards? I think I need 4 sheets at 24x36?
Old 07-25-2009, 10:43 AM

You could do worse than using the pompeii kit specs as your guideline: (PDF)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/atta..._datasheet.pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Dan,
1st of all, GREAT LOOKING OVEN BASE! The setting is nice and you've built the base with lots of steel and cement. It's going to be strong. I like you pic of the pergola and oven. It'll look great.

Hopefully I'm not too late re: your question about 24x36 insulation board. I've built a 42" WFO and I purchased 3 of boards and I had to be really clever to make every bit work and have a few 2" useless pieces left over. Your oven is a little smaller so I would think you still need 3 (not 4). If you already bought 4, then the extra would be great to use inside an oven door.

Looking foreword to watching the rest your build. Let us know if you have any questions. You and your family look like your having fun and the best parts are just starting!

Happy oven building, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 07:28 AM
Master Builder

Good to see another Wisconsin oven, and what a great setting you have!! Keep up the good work.

Daren

Old 07-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by schallert View Post
6x6 green-treated landscape timbers, inexpensive and very easy to work with.
Thank you for your reply. After determining rough cost to terrace a 20' x20' area it seems like I can save a substantial amount of money by using cement building blocks instead. Wall height will be no more than 40" at its highest point. But as you mentioned, timbers are so much easier to work with and go up fast.
Hope the rest of your project is progressing smoothly.

George
Old 08-09-2009, 06:04 AM
Laborer

OK, I have attached a rough plan for the next steps. I have the FB board now, bricks and saw later this week. Understanding all the detailed prep work needed... I love it. Just need more time.

Dan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf build plan_v7.pdf (275.6 KB, 291 views)
Old 08-14-2009, 12:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dan,
This is a GREAT drawing you've posted! I saw it a few days ago and it was awesome but I did not see the small print (I suspect others did not either) and you had a few questions written on the PDF plan. Here are some answers and I hope others will check it out too:

Silicon "dots" under the FB board to hold it in place while you set your floor? Not necessary. You will built up weight so fast that the FB board wont budge.

The herringbone floor: If you are level, and you have really flat bricks, some have not used ANY sand/fireclay mix. If in doubt, use sand/fireclay AND water to make a slurry, lay down 4-5 floor bricks, and tamp with level. You need the water in the mix to make it "set" a little. And keep on moving and tamping until the whole floor is done. I found I worried too much about brick corners that were not PERFECTLY level and flat and it did not matter in end. So don't go crazy over the floor. Still, flatter is better.

Expansion joint at where the soldiers meet the floor? Go with 1/8" (not 1/16")

DO NOT mortar the soldiers to the FB board. Yes the mortar in between the joints (which are always fairly wide at the back of the soldier course) do attach to the FB board. But there is no need (and actually some potential little peril) to mortaring the soldiers bottoms. If a soldier or 2 dips or rises a 1/8- or 1/4" because the FB board is off, your 1st course mortar will fix that. If you do it though, it's probably OK but not standard practice so avoid it.

I say cut your soldier angle to make the dome correct independent of the arch wall height. It probably will not "line up with the entry arch" and that's fine. Mine doesn't line up with my 3 high brick vent walls and they don't need to be.

Whew, great questions Dan, keep them coming. You'll have a terrific oven.

Cheers, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 04:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

hey Dan,
beautiful yard and a great job, Im green with envy right now. Keep up the great work and welcome to the world of WFO's (Wood Fired Ovens) When you get to the vent/chimney you may just have to think it out as you go.... I had the same problem, it all went together fine and works even better. Seeing what you have done already, I dont forsee you having any problems.
Good Luck
Mark